BricsCAD Trackpad (health issue)

Hi BricsCAD User,

one of our clients is asking for your experiences to use BricsCAD with a trackpad. This client has some health issues and can not use a regular mouse.

Any idea how to support them?

Many Thanks

Mustafa

Comments

• ALANH
    edited October 2023
    A trackpad is a new name for a Digitiser, yes I have one, yes it works with Cad.

When you have used cad for like 40 years a pad was the only way to go at one time.

You can have a screen area and preset "Buttons" on the pad.

I would ask Bricscad through support for some help, they are very responsive to this type of question.
    Start here https://help.bricsys.com/document/_guides--BCAD_customization--GD_digitizingtablet/V22/EN_US?id=165079143550

• That looks actually beautiful - like MCS Anvil that I misguidedly had, early 90s, or maybe it was Arkey that I tried first, before that. DOS, beatifully coloured interface in squares like that, worked silkily and instantly - everything since feels somehow gritty and laggy.
  • ALANH
    edited October 2023
    The dwg would match a Summagraphics or GTCO digitiser say a 12x12, the pads are a lot smaller so would need to make a new dwg with less commands. Dont forget the A0 & A1 digitisers. need the cui as it holds the menu code. If can find a real old mnu version then can edit in notepad much easier than the cui.
  • Many Thanks for your comments.
    Do you have some experience on using the trackpad for example from a Apple Macbook?
  • Contact Bricscad support to make sure a pad is supported, before we make any further comments.
  • Many Thanks for your comments.
    Do you have some experience on using the trackpad for example from a Apple Macbook?

I would miss the middle mouse click for 3D View Rotation. (around cursor!)
    Other wise I would use my Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad also for CAD and 3D.
    Maybe he does 2D only or is fine with the new View Widget though.

Some prefer Trackballs, some are ok with vertical oriented ergo mice, some want
    Wacom Pen Input.

I have a Wacom Cintiq 27" Display with Pen and Touch.
    But generally I think the best input for CAD/3D is still by a standard Mouse,
    so normally I use it upright like a standard monitor.
    As long as hands or arm do not hurt.

Pen input is also a totally natural non problematic input option, allows 3 button
    setting, including middle mouse button.
    But I totally miss is scroll wheel or adequate alternative for Zooming !
    2 of my CADs, including Bricscad, expect a scroll wheel for zooming and do not
    offer useful alternative by standard right or left button + key.
    Opposed to all my 3D Apps.