Is BricsCAD usable on Linux in a serious way?

jones
edited November 2023 in Linux
I am actually wondering, if BricsCAD is really meant to be used on Linux.
  • I first used the custom install on Manjaro --> When using the standard parts library, it appears that nothing can be drawn anymore. E.G. a cylinder and all other parts do not appear anymore
  • So I set up Fedora 38 in a VM, to use an officially supported OS -> BricsCAD freezes often, mostly after using standard parts. Seems to be the same as on Manjaro, but freezing (the whole VM!) instead of stop drawing things.
  • Ubuntu 22.04 LTS --> same as on Manjaro
  • All these things happen in Wayland and XORG session (more often on Wayland)
Starting BricsCAD in a Terminal does not make me think, it is in a well state:

I am thinking to try it in Ubuntu 20.04, as the release notes mention it is compiled on that system, but I interested to know, if someone here uses BricsCAD successfully and reliably on Linux.

I use a Radeon 6800XT

Comments

• It seems to only happen with some parts of the standard part library.

Can someone test the following:
    1. Draw some boxes, circles cylinders in 3d Modeling
    2. Add this part from the standard parts: Standard Parts - Fasteners - Threads - DIN - MM-THD
    3. Set it to eg M20x2.5, rotate it
    4. try to place another box

My version is BricsCAD-V24.1.05-2-en_US-amd64
  • jones said:

It seems to only happen with some parts of the standard part library.

Can someone test the following:
    1. Draw some boxes, circles cylinders in 3d Modeling
    2. Add this part from the standard parts: Standard Parts - Fasteners - Threads - DIN - MM-THD
    3. Set it to eg M20x2.5, rotate it
    4. try to place another box

My version is BricsCAD-V24.1.05-2-en_US-amd64

I've tested the above and yes you can't place another box or draw anything after placing the thread. Another bug unfortunately.
    In terms of general performance I did have lots of freezing problems using Wayland when I had Ubuntu. I am now using Mint 21.1 with no freezing. However I do get random unexplained shut downs, and GUI scaling issues which is due to me having the text scaling factor set to 1.3.

• Thanks for reply.
    It seems, playing around with the standard parts library at first, made me have a bad experience.

When not using the library, BricsCAD seems to work quite well even on the not supported Manjaro.
  • After my Windows 7 PC broke, I got it deactivated by Bricsys and installed V22it on an Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS machine. It was unusable, in my opinion. Buggy toolbars. They wouldn't stay in position. They kept disappearing offscreen, or expanding so big I couldn't grab the corners and re-size them. I decided to downgrade to V20, which always was more stable on my Windows 7 machine. Same problems with toolbars. The *.CUI file doesn't hold my settings, and I can't get toolbar icons that are large enough to see, while fitting on screen.
  • After my Windows 7 PC broke, I got it deactivated by Bricsys and installed V22it on an Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS machine. .....

Perhaps you should use a supported Ubuntu Version?
    https://help.bricsys.com/document/_guides--BCAD_installation_and_licensing--GD_system_requirements/V24/EN_US?id=165079150963
    • Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and higher Ubuntu versions that are still supported by Canonical (if you want a stable experience, LTS tends to be a good choice)
  • Ubuntu 20.04 LTS seems stable with BricsCAD V23. Just keep your cui files handy for as needed replacement.