Maintenace and Pricing updates

It's unfortunate to see what was once a refuge for those looking for a community dedicated to creating and maintaining a cad package to offset the "major players." Only to become a major player itself and stray from it's humble beginnings with forced maintenance plans and price increases while really only maintaining and emulating others. I appreciate it was inevitable. I am proud to have been a long time supporter-especially for those of us dedicated to open source-but find that support strained as I watch the little engine that could fluff it's chest and declare it's authority. Good luck with future releases. V23 may well be my last purchase.

Comments

• I appreciate it was inevitable

I am totally fine with perpetual Software and Maintenance contracts offers.
    For users it is a bit cheaper than manual upgrading or you get some extra features that you
    don't need, for the developers it gives some more continuity and reliability.
    I basically ran all Software on Maintenance contracts so far as I always want the newest and
    shiniest version anyway ....

I have already switched to or counted on a some "start up" Apps that started like a family business,
    that made everything so much better from scratch, had incredible fast development over the years.
    But all of them, once matured, finally were sold to investors or companies.
    Once reaching a certain complexity, they all stalled in development, raised their prices and finally
    went subscription only.
    (BTW, so far I exited from all Software that went subscription only and did not really regret it ...
    Can't simply live with or do not want to work with any Software, risking to have no more access
    to my previous files/work, if I couldn't afford any, even small monthly subscription,
    for whatever reasons)

Did you know that really all CAD and BIM Software is basically owned by only 3 large investors ?
    Sometimes these may remind their companies to care a bit more about their dividends.

I obviously do not count on having a live long relationship with Bricscad.
    But for now the content of the info mail for me personally is pretty acceptable as it is my
    status quo. But announcements of such changes alone make you feel a bit uncomfortable
    and a sign that the air gets a little thinner.
    I am sure that all commercial CAD/BIM Apps will finally go the subscription/as a service only
    at one point. Bricscad is just a two or some few more years behind some others.

I am not that concerned as I can still see alternative workflows, that I can manage to switch
    during the time until my latest perpetual license App versions will get outdated.
  • Would you name those three investors? Interesting.
  • Ahm, can't remember those names. Didn't heard of any of them before.

But someone made a nice graph, similar to Linux Distributions pedigree.
    Which CADs were when founded, sold, renamed, consolidated, belong
    to whom, .....
    I do not have the link to it. Maybe it was linked in one of the OpenBIM
    forums ?
  • The writing was on the wall right when Brics was bought out by Hexagon, it was just a matter of time. What I'd like to know (I'm nosey I guess) is what happened to the folks that were with Autodesk and came over to Brics only to disappear into the shadows?
  • The writing was on the wall right when Brics was bought out by Hexagon, ....

From my sold-Apps experience, I was also concerned ....
    (About being sold to a Windows-only company)
    And with V24 I have to realize the stagnation in usual feature explosions and
    especially in Mac (3 years lacking Apple Silicon) and Linux support or any
    progress in their (long standing) GUI/UI issues.
    Or feature parity with Windows. (like Datasmith or even USD export)

It is a pity because, behind all for me unwanted Autocad behavior/support,
    all those original Bricscad Direct Modeling or AI features were just great
    and unique in the (Mac) CAD world.
  • For a moment, I thought that the price increase email was a scam email...." it 's too much" "they wouldn't do that".
  • Would you name those three investors? Interesting.

Luckily someone posted an article to that Graph on another Forum today,
    so here it is and the investors are listed bottom right.

https://bigdataconstruction.com/history-of-bim/