Hardware question

We often have multiple viewports on the same plan sheet (sometimes 6 or 7). When switching to layout tabs with the larger number of viewports, BCAD noticeably lags a bit to switch and regen the new layout. Question is: what hardware is really responsible for this action? Would more RAM solve the problem? Mostly the processor doing the work?

Working on I7-10700 with 32gb DDR4. Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb. Any thoughts on how to improve the performance would be greatly appreciated.

I know it's not really a "2d Drafting" question per se, but couldn't find a better category.

Comments

• Hi Andrew,

I believe this is a CPU performance issue, however an I7-10700 is quite a mighty processor. But maybe the DWGs are just as mighty?

In theory you should be able to check by opening the Task Manager and see where the spike is when switching layouts. However, be advised that the first switch of the BricsCAD session will be more laggy than the next ones.

All the best,
    Billie
  • Hey Billie,

Thanks for the reply. You are correct. I did in fact open task manager (duh!) and ran a test and the processor def spikes with each layout change. Only "spikes" from 2% up to 10% (I'm assuming it's limited by single core performance). Guess I'm kinda stuck. Not worth the processor upgrade (to the i9) for marginal difference.

As for the files, titleblock file is only 2.6mb (30 layout tabs) and has a 14mb base file xref'd into it. Neither one is too crazy. Maybe I'm just impatient. LOL

Have a great weekend,
    Andrew
  • You might play with the CACHELAYOUT and LAYOUTREGENCTL settings