Drawing tabs do not grab focus

Hi all,

I hope someone has an answer to the annoying issue I'm having with my Bricscad Pro V20 on Windows 10. This is a relatively recent issue since it did not occur previously.
Let's say I need to copy an element from one drawing to another with both drawings open in separate tabs. I switch to the drawing I want to copy from. If I start typing a command in the command line, nothing happens. The command line remains blank. This is because the drawing I'm looking at does not have the focus. The cursor/crosshairs move around as normal. I can zoom in and out with the scroll button as normal. However, I can't start typing in the command line until I have left clicked in the drawing space. Of course, I can't just click once because it thinks I want to draw a fenceline. Therefore, to cancel the fenceline command I either need to left click a second time or hit escape. Now that the drawing space has the focus, I can now type in the command line.

I highlight something and Ctrl-C to copy it. I move to an open drawing on another tab. I press Ctrl-V to paste but nothing happens. Again, the drawing does not have the focus. Neither the command line nor the Ctrl-V is activated. Again, I have to go through the process of clicking in the drawing space, twice, to regain the focus. Now I can Ctrl-V to paste the element taken from the other tab.

This is only one example when this happens. There are many more instances when this occurs.

This is absolutely driving me crazy. It slows down work flow incredibly.

When searching for this issue online, the very few hits obtained with "focus" being mentioned are all to do with the Linux version and not the Windows version. My Bricscad does not have the restorelostfocus command. I'm stuck. Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone have a solution?

Cheers.

Comments

• @Norrie

Maybe the focus is on the opened panel/s, so check if the same happens with panels closed.
    If that is the case, just by hovering the work area will return focus to it and you can type commands.

On V20, I would also make sure that CMDLINEUSENEWFRAME == 0 as the implementation was at its beginning.

Since you mention this is a recent behavior, it may also be due to some Windows update.

Lastly, if you want to clean-up your BricsCAD installation, hereby how:
    https://help.bricsys.com/en-us/document/knowledge-base/installation/how-to-repair-or-perform-a-clean-bricscad-installation?id=165245343758
  • Hi Codrut,

Thanks very much for your reply. Much appreciated.

I have tried this with the panels in flyout mode and retracted mode but it makes no difference. As I said previously, when switching to a new drawing tab, the crosshairs and zoom work fine meaning that, by definition, I am hovering over the work area. The focus is not returned to the command line.

I checked cmdlineusenewframe and it was already set to 0.

I agree that it could have some connection with a Windows update but finding it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I have made a lot of customisations to Bricscad to speed up workflow so I would be reluctant to reset it to factory defaults. I know that customisations can be saved and transferred but if the issue is with one of the customisations then I will simply inherit the issue on the reintroduced settings file. I am nut ruling it out but would like to consider all other options before doing that.

Cheers
    Norrie