BIM section model

Greetings!
I don't know if I will be able to describe my problem as accurate as I should, since I have started working with BIM sections just recently.
So, I am working on an office building, 4 underground levels, ground floor and 14 stories.
I have created plane sections dedicated for each floor and some cross sections. For floor sections (plans), under Section Entity on Properties panel, as State I defined Plane, under BIM section, Section type I defined Plan. In drawing explorer each section plan has defined Destination file as Plans.dwg. My question is why, when I want to create, e.g., 1st floor model I can see 1st floor and everything below it. I also tried to define section as Volume, not Plane, but that didn't help. It would be a great help if I could manage to overcome this problems, since I have to draw a lot of ducts, FCU's, fans and such and that would be great to do it automatically. If needed I can attach some pics and such. I am using BricsCAD BIM v.24.1.08.
Thenks everyone for help!

Comments

• Hi,
    if your question is how to isolate one floor in a section then section type 'Volume' is the correct way. But once you define that you still need to set the section 'depth' you can do this in the model view by selecting the little arrow on the section object.
  • Hi @Kresimir Bedenikovic
    Please make sure that your Slab below the 1st isn't hidden in the Structure Panel or on a hidden layer when you run BIMSECTIONUPDATE.
  • Piet said:

Hi,
    if your question is how to isolate one floor in a section then section type 'Volume' is the correct way. But once you define that you still need to set the section 'depth' you can do this in the model view by selecting the little arrow on the section object.

Hello and thank you for your reply. I did set section as Volume type, but that didn't help. And when I want to set the depth by dragging small arrow, than I also move section line (elevation).
    Since I have a lot of floors and a lot of system elements (ducts, pipes) it would be very helpful to get this working. Also, when I create section (that shows everything below) all elements are black. How to keep colours from origin DGW?
  • Piet said:

Hi,

Hello and thank you for your reply. I did set section as Volume type, but that didn't help. And when I want to set the depth by dragging small arrow, than I also move section line (elevation).
    Since I have a lot of floors and a lot of system elements (ducts, pipes) it would be very helpful to get this working. Also, when I create section (that shows everything below) all elements are black. How to keep colours from origin DGW?
    Correction!
    I set up section as Volume, dragged small arrow, did BIMSECTIONUPDATE (as @Billie mentioned) and IT WORKED!! Thank you guys a lot! Now I just need to define colours in a way that I have colours as in my origin DWG and not all black as in created section DWG. Any tips how to do this? Thanks once more!
  • Nice to hear you got it working.
    For the colors, the 2d section result will contain layers that are created based on the physical material used. You can change the layer colors as you want. Bricscad ships with predefined materials and 2d layers defined in sectionsettings.dwg.
    You can find the help article here:
    https://help.bricsys.com/en-us/document/bricscad-bim/design-documentation/templates-for-generated-drawings?version=V24&id=165079161139

On top of this default behavior, you can change the section result based on bim properties. This is called a 'Typed plan'. More information you can find here:
    https://help.bricsys.com/en-us/document/bricscad-bim/design-documentation/working-with-typed-plans?version=V24&id=165079161141
  • Piet said:

Nice to hear you got it working.
    For the colors, the 2d section result will contain layers that are created based on the physical material used. You can change the layer colors as you want. Bricscad ships with predefined materials and 2d layers defined in sectionsettings.dwg.
    You can find the help article here:
    https://help.bricsys.com/en-us/document/bricscad-bim/design-documentation/templates-for-generated-drawings?version=V24&id=165079161139

On top of this default behavior, you can change the section result based on bim properties. This is called a 'Typed plan'. More information you can find here:
    https://help.bricsys.com/en-us/document/bricscad-bim/design-documentation/working-with-typed-plans?version=V24&id=165079161141

Thank you! I will check this tips.
    I wonder is there is a way for created sections to inherit layer names and colours from original DWG (the one that has created sections)? Or do I really need to go thru all those steps just to create a sectioning DWG?
  • Greetings once again!
    Does anyone have any idea why my Panels pallet and ribbon become frozen why activating BIM visual style control and changing views? It happens all the time. Then I always have to restart BricsCAD. It is totally annoying. The same is happening on colleagues comp.
    Thank you!
  • This seems like a bug.
    Could you create a support request and attach crash report and dump file?
    https://help.bricsys.com/en-us/document/knowledge-base/troubleshooting/what-files-to-include-when-reporting-crashes?id=165245343935
  • Piet said:

Hi,

Correction!
    I set up section as Volume, dragged small arrow, did BIMSECTIONUPDATE (as @Billie mentioned) and IT WORKED!! Thank you guys a lot! Now I just need to define colours in a way that I have colours as in my origin DWG and not all black as in created section DWG. Any tips how to do this? Thanks once more!
    Hello again. First of all, thank you for your assistance. I really appreciate it. I found out that, when I do volume section and drag small arrows to desired depth, then also my section line, which is seen in model space (isometric view and front view) is also dragged to the next story level (this specific section is about 5th floor). The problem is that it lays right on the section line of 6th floor and I can't directly select it unless I go to Structure Panel and select it there under Sections/Plans. When I created section I placed it at specific height of 5th floor (1855 cm).