Snapping and locking inference

Hi,

I come from Sketchup, but the company decided to move to Shape for conceptual design. We're an engineering company.

I have a few questions:

Snap settings
The standard object snap points seem to be: endpoint, midpoint and circle centre.
Often, you also want nearest and circle quadrant.
It's a bit cumbersome to always set those by 'nea' and 'qua'.

Is there a way to set the standard snappoints?
Is there an indication somewhere that snap is on or off (can't see anything on statusbar)?

Locking inference
In Sketchup, you can lock the direction when moving a shape on one of the main axes by holding shift. This makes it easy to move a shape accurately in three steps in the three directions. While moving e.g. in the vertical direction, you can then point to a surface at the desired height to bring the object level with it.

I notice that Shape also locks to the main axes with shift. However, it will jump to the other axis when you move sideways, e.g. to indicate the desired height.
The Manipulator will lock to one axis, but setting it's base point is more work.

Is there a way to lock inference in one direction when using move or copy?

Best regards,

Geert

Comments

• Hi Geert,

As I know, OSNAP modes in Shape has a hard coded value, not customizable. Unfortunately, at the moment there is no indication for toggled options, like Entity Snaps, Ortho, Snap, etc. There is a feature request task about it, but it's not based on clients request and doesn't schedueled yet.
    Not sure about locking of direction except Shift and Manipulator, I'm aware just about this ways.

Best regards,
    Lyubov
  • I have no clue why unfortunately so many CAD Apps do so hard to offer a
    reliable single axis lock. I use two of those.
    In most 3D Mesh Apps this is easily available.

In Bricscad, as you experienced, old ORTHO mode or POLAR with SHIFT
    works in many situations, but not reliable, as you noticed.
    For now I also think Manipulator is a reliable and overall the best option
    to lock to a single axis.