Tin Surfaces modeling and representation

Hi everyone,

I'm developing a 3D model and got pretty excited when I learned about the tool "corridors".
Unfortunately, without a third party application, this tool seems very basic lacking simple features like intersections, kerb returns, cul-de-sacs etc... so I had to find another way and decided to make everything with Tin Surfaces because they seem ligther than meshes or solids and can carry a lot of useful information (so I have a Tin Surface for the terrain and another Tin Surface for the roads).

I want to create sections and elevations but since my terrain and roads are Tin Surfaces, I'm having trouble figuring out the command to make this.
The "BIM SECTION" command seems the right one to represent BIM elements and solids but doesn't seem compatible with Tin Surfaces... on the other hand the "VERTICAL ALIGNMENT VIEW" command seems the right one to represent sections that have Tin Surfaces but doesn't seem compatible with BIM elements and solids.
How can I have a section view with everything represented?
Also, any alternative for the roads modeling would be much appreciated since I'm not yet convinced the Tin Surface command is the better option for that.

I apologize in advance if I'm asking a silly question but after years of Archicad and Revit I'm trying to adapt to this new working method, which I'm loving by the way. But like any other program, Bricscad has it's own learning curve and I'm doing my best to adapt.

Thank you,
Tiago Silva

Comments

• Hello.

The feature of creating corridors intersections is currently being considered, but it might take a while until it is available.

Creating corridors with TIN surfaces could work but it also could be quite tedious, depending on the case.

One approach could be to keep using the corridor feature for corridors, especially because sections are needed and, currently, BIM sections don't work well with TIN surfaces.

The corridors should end where the intersection begins.

The intersection could be created as a set of gradings plus a TIN surface on top.
    This approach works only when the intersection is a flat surface - gradings require a planar curve.
  • Thank you very much for your fast response Virgil, I'll consider using the corridors until the intersection begins and since it's not a flat surface I'll make the intersection as a mesh (already made it work).

The only question it remains is... what command am I suppose to use to create section views that represent both the terrain (which is a Tin Surface as I stated), the corridors and also solids and BIM elements?
  • ALANH
    edited April 5
    Have a look at Civil Site Design will do what you want and much more at a reasonable price and runs inside Bricscad.
    https://civilsitedesign.com.au/
    I have used it with CIV3D and Bricscad
  • Appreciate your tip Alanh but since I'm an architect that Civil Site Design isn't worth the money for me.
    I understand it's value but for what we do at our office it's just not worth it.

I'll patiently wait for these simple features to be implemented by Bricsys in the near future and manage workarounds until then :)
    Thank you for your message though!
  • The only question it remains is... what command am I suppose to use to create section views that represent both the terrain (which is a Tin Surface as I stated), the corridors and also solids and BIM elements?

Hi,
    Would probably have to do it using Lisp....
    And I think that I may have started doing something similar in the past using Lisp.
    Would be interested to try and help you with this one...