lineweights in different sized paper space viewports

Hi there
I have my template file set up with three tabs: model space, A4 page, A3 page. The approx viewport sizes for A4 is 192 mm X 292 mm, and for A3 is 273 mm X 412 mm.
If I draw an object in MS on the A4 page it draws with the expected line weight. If I then switch to MS on the A3 page to view the object I just drew, the lineweight is considerably thinner - the lines are faint. The lineweight does not scale.
I do most of my drawings with black lines on white pages initially, usually 2D wireframe.
If I create a region from the object the perimeter line weight doesn't change by zooming or opening in another viewport.
Note all lineweights are by layer in the template drawing.
Is this normal behaviour or have I missed something?
Thanks
Jez

Comments

• We stayed away from lineweights rather used layer color, as I am old and remember drafting with ink pens so we had colours 1-7 matching Iso sizes 0.18-1.0 much easier for some of us. Just set up a CTB to the way you want. If we want thick lines we use plines.

Not sure if this helps.
  • .... The lineweight does not scale. ....

That's normal. Lineweights aren't supposed to scale. A line with lineweight property = Bylayer and on a layer whose lineweight is 0.60 should always have that lineweight on paper, regardless of the size of the paper or the scale of the viewport (unless the viewports have different VP Lineweights assigned to that layer). But the Pline Width that Alan mentioned does scale. Width is relative to modelspace, so it gets bigger (on paper) as you zoom in, just like the length of a line or the diameter of a circle.

.... If I then switch to MS on the A3 page to view the object I just drew, the lineweight is considerably thinner - the lines are faint. ....

That's not normal. A line should not be thinner in one viewport than in another, unless there's the VP Lineweight discrepancy mentioned above. It might look thinner in a larger viewport, since the line's thickness takes up a smaller percentage of the viewport area. But if you print the two viewports and measure the line thickness it should be the same.