Section and detail cut lines disappear in viewports.

dstnwst
edited June 19 in 3D Modeling

Has anyone had a problem with section and detail cut lines disappearing from paper space views? The VIEWBASE, VIEWSECTION, and VIEWDETAIL commands seem like they need some work. BricsCAD seems to crash alot when working with these commands as well.

Also, after creating a section or detail view, is there any way to change its style?

Comments

• Hello.

Regarding the crashes.

These cases might, indeed, occur.
    One main reason for this behavior is a limitation of the ACIS geometric kernel used in Bricscad.

When the 3D model includes geometry with errors, then a crash might occur.
    This happens because ACIS is very sensitive to errors.

One approach could be to use the DMAUDIT command and check evrey model used in a drawing.
    This command will reveal the errors of a 3D model and will try to fix them.
    However, there are many cases when the errors can't be fixed automatically.
    The only solution in these cases is to manually recreate some parts of the model.

The modeling errors have a significant influence over the generated views also.
    This influence could sometimes lead to a crash, a very slow processing of the drawing, or an incomplete generated view.

Regarding the style of generated views

The settings for sections and detail views can be edited with using the EXPLORER command.
    This will open the Drawing Explorer window.
    In the left pane of the window, at the bottom of the tree, there are View Detail Styles and View Section Styles.

With base and projected views, to change the display style, the Geometry property of the view needs to be set to 3D.
    Then, use the Properties panel and select a new visual style.

• The model was actually created in AutoCAD, but when I opened the drawing in BricsCAD alot of the dimensions in the paper space views were associated with paper space 0,0 and I couldn't reassociate them to the model geometry. And all of the view label text was replaced replaced with ######. The views were created with AutoCAD's VIEWBASE command. Both versions are attached. I haven't added dimensions to the BricsCAD version yet because, why bother if it isn't going to work.

I copied the model and inserted it into a new BricsCAD drawing, and I ran the DMAUDIT command. That fixed some errors, and it hasn't crashed since, but the section and detail cut lines still disappear when I save the drawing.

One last gripe. Why can't I change the default information that is included in section view labels? I generally do not need section view scale information. If I need a section view with a different scale I should be able to set up a sectionviewstyle that would include it and one that does not.

• Hello.

To work with VIEWBASE, Autocad uses some Inventor interoperability.
    VIEWBASE doesn't work in standard Autocad.

Bricscad doesn't have any access to the features specific to Inventor interoperability.
    Consequently, some compatibility issues will occur.

With the attached drawing, in Autocad 2025, there are also some dimensions disassociated.
    They don't look exactly as in Bricscad, but there are quite a few issues in this regard.

Also, when opening the file, Autocad 2025 requires a recover operation.

Related to fields displaying "####".

In Autocad, these fields are linked to some properties of various DrawingView entities.
    Given that these entities are accessed through Inventor interoperability, most of the properties of DrawingView entities are not available in Bricscad.
    Properties like Detail identifier, Start identifier, End identifier, are not available in Bricscad.
    Consequently, "####" is displayed.

Related to lines disappearing.

I opened the drawing with Bricscad and saved it with a new name.
    When opening the new file, it looked similar to the original one.

Maybe, I missed something.

However, if the drawing is opened in Autocad and saved with EXPORTTOAUTOCAD, there are indeed lots lines lost.