V26 Peformance issues

I have been using Bricscad for quite a while and been through a bunch of versions and never really had any issues until V26, all of a sudden I am experiencing a lot more lag and crashes when I do things. It feels like it is not as well optimized as prior versions. I like some of the new features but am thinking of going back to the V25.

Has anyone else experienced this or is it just my PC dying? Could always be a windows thing, currently running it on Windows 11 but would'nt mind switching to Linux.

Comments

  • zoomer
    edited March 11

    I think that Linux and especially macOS versions are much worse Bricscad experience than Windows.
    I do not see much lagging on my M4 Max, but since V26.1.08 a lot (more) crashing for whatever reasons. Also it is no more able to save most existing files that started in previous versions - while V25 still does without problems. V26 Windows also can't save these files.
    Yes, for me V26 lately feels much different too.

    Generally on macOS you always had a lot of Bricscad (any version) freezing, for many minutes or forever. Tool Palettes disappearing regularly (Command Line extended, Access3D, …). On Linux mostly GUI problems, maybe a bit less crashes and freezing than on Mac, but same restrictions of Windows only features.

    Maybe it is also the combination of V26 + macOS 26 Tahoe here, which is also my worst overall Apple OS experience. Bricscad Mac is still Intel and has no native Apple ARM version. And next macOS 27 will be the last version that will have Rosetta 2 and so support for Intel Apps. We will see if Bricscad stays crossplatform forever.

  • Hello!
    Currently I'm working on this issue too. Tried a lot possibilities (performance on and on-demand on, back from Nvidia 595 to 580-open, settings in Bricscad). I didn't reaches any improvement. Now, it's working on the integrates Intel Graphics engine without Nvidia.
    Also a lot of lag, crashes and no fun…
    Linux Mint 22.3 and Bricscad v26.
    I really hope, that the developer will have a solution to organize the graphics pipes like in Windows. The support already told, that in v27 some points shall be better.

  • I really hope V27 will be better and that is solves the many crashes in V26 because right now it is crashing way too often on Windows. If the crashing on Windows is less often than on Linux/Mac then the programmers really need to spend more time on reliability of BricsCAD than on new features for their Linux/Mac versions.

    Of course it depends on what someone is using BricsCAD for, and supposedly about 80% of the userbase is working in 2D so those using 3D are likely the ones on the short end of the stick with all the crashes etc.