Layer Manager

Does anyone know of a 3rd party add on for ICad to do layer filtering functions? In some drawings I have close to a hundred layers and would like to be able to group them. So as to be able to turn off a whole group. Also would like to be able to pick one layer to be left on and turn all others off. I understand that ACAD has a Layer Manager in it Express Tools that does some or all of this. I have not seen it so I'm not sure what it does. But it would be nice to have some tools that did some of these operations. We are willing to go out to a 3rd party if there is one. Any ideas?Thanks for any thoughts

Comments

• As for turning on or off (or freezing) a group of layers, this can be done via the command line if all the layers you want to group can be identified by a wildcard name. For instance, if you want to freeze all layers that start with "C-" you would type:LAYERFREEZEC-and so on for other types of names. Multiple wildcards are also allowed, such as *FURN for a layer with FURN anywhere in the name.The good thing about this is command is that you can write a script to issue several layer commands in sequence and then run the script whenever you need it.If you can't group layers by name like this, then you will need something more elaborate as an add-on.I have some lisp routines that I use to turn off, freeze, or set current layer by picking elements on the screen. I'd be happy to email these to you if you want. I don't have any routine to group layers, as I use the method described above.

• It will take redoing our prototype drawings, but I think what you mentioned will work. We will rename our layers into groups that start with a common word and could even then subgroup them with a second common word. Thanks alot for the help.

• I wrote a layer manager a while back, which has a layer snapshot function built in (like the Acad express tools utility). It will save layer schemes locally (valid for current dwg only) or globally (valid for all dwgs). Maybe it will do what you want.http://www.cadalog.com/file_info.phtml?file_location=/shells/Llib.zip&filename=Llib.zip&rowcolor=ffffcc

• I ALSO MISS AutoCAD'S LAYER MANAGER.I HAVE SEVERAL OTHER LAYER MANAGING LISP ROUTINES I USE A LOT...IF YOU STUILL NEED MORE I WOULD BE GLAD TO E-MAIL THEM TO YOU.

This discussion has been closed.