Lightweight Polylines

Somehow I've got this far, with moderate proficiency in Acad/Icad style cad drawing, without ever figuring out what the heck a lightweight polyline is. I guess it's a result of staying with Acad ver 12 too long. Anyway can anyone enlighten me?Thanks

Comments

• Basically LWPoly is no different to a Polyline. They look and behave the much the same way on the face of it. However they are more efficient. DWGs with LWPolies are smaller in file size then ones with old style POLIES. You don't have to worry about choosing which one you would prefer. The default now days is LWPolies anyhow.Sometimes people need to convert back to the old style for a variety of reasons such as communicating with older CAD versions or different CAD systems. Or using other LISP progs that reverse Pline vertecies and the list goes on. Other people on this site might suggest other reasons.Hope it was of help.Best regardsAndreas Vasiliouhttp://computersupport.itgo.com

• That helps. Thanks.

• there are polylines, with two subtypes 2dpolylines, 3dpolylines, and lwpolylines. lwpolylines, light weight polylines, are simpler. - lw are 2d,- lw are made up of only one entity, while polylines have one subentity per vertex.- you can only add entity data to the lw as a whole, instead of to each vertex - lw only have one type of vertex. With polylines you can have curve-fit or spline-fit vertices for curve-fit or spline-fit polylines, With 3dpolylines you can have polygon mesh vertices and polyface mesh vertices. And a mixture of all.lwpolylines are sufficient for most usage. So in practice most polylines can be converted to lwpolylines without loss of information. The system variable PLINETYPE helps to control this.regards, sander,bricsnet

This discussion has been closed.