4.0.0039 Does nothing to fix problems only slows your drawings down

I thought you were suppose to have the paperspace viewing and printing of linetypes corrected in this release... but all it seems to have done is slow working in paperspace down as well as making it about 20 times slower when you go to plot. And even that still does not hold the paper sizes right.The linetypes show some in paperspace... if you go into model space in the viewport and do a zoom extents, then do a zoom previous, then the different linetypes will show correctly as it converts the ltscale over properly. But if you do a zoom extents in paperspace it goes back to having the lines show with a ltscale of 1. And if you have the lines showing correct in the viewport, then plot it.... BANG ... the ltscale is not showing properly again.How is it that in one version you have something working just fine and then in the next version it is broken?And do we have to wait another 2 months to have it supposedly fixed again???If you need a set of drawings to "Test" your program to see if your paperspace "issues" are fixed or not ... just let me know and I will be more that happy to send you some.As for our company working on the new version.... no thanks.

Comments

• Concerning PaperSpaceLineTypeScale (PSLTSCALE)Plot and print preview have to respect PSLTSCALE. This was broken in previous versions 4. Our priority has been given to the correctness of the plot. We repaired this and our tests confirm this.Are you claiming it is still broken?If this can be confirmed we will give it highest priority, though itlooks like instead you refer to the display needing an update after a plot?Indeed, in some cases explicit call to REGEN is necessary to get the correct representation of the linetypescale.There is an important difference between REDRAW and REGEN.REDRAW simply draws the content of the display memory on the screen,while REGEN first regenerates the content of the display memoryand then draws it on the screen.PSLTSCALE 'ON' means that a line that displays as 3 dashes in one viewportwill display as e.g. 7 dashes in another viewport that uses a different scale, still the dashes will have the same length in both viewports.After a simple REDRAW, such line will have either 3 or 7 dashes in all viewports. If we want the correct number of dashes in all viewports, REGEN has to be used.As REGEN has to generate the content of the display memory for each of the active viewports, it typically takes much more time than a REDRAW that just takesthe content of the most recently calculated display memory and uses that to redrawall viewports.So the REDRAW command is ill-suited to be used with PSLTSCALE in paperspace with multiple viewports, and one could argue: do never allow REDRAW, always use a full REGEN.This is the history of the problem: in Icad v3 paperspace was very slow to use, because even a simple pan operation required a REGEN. For Icad v4 a new mechanism was developed that reduces the number of required REGENs drastically. This gave a huge performance boost for paperspace. But in the new approach PSLTSCALE was overlooked, and that was a serious problem.If PSLTSCALE is on, slightly zooming means that all the dashes of any dashed line have to be recreated, and each viewport can have a different number of dashes for that same line.This means a REGEN of all viewports is required in order to show each of them perfectly (unless you somehow 'store' all these displays). What we did now was partly reintroduce regenerations if PSLTSCALE is on (and only then).The consequence is a performance drop when PSLTSCALE is on - though not back to Icad v3 speed.Conclusion: with the current state of Intellicad, we partially trade off up-to-dateness of viewports that are not the current viewport, for performance. So the viewport that you are working in will be kept up to date, but to update the other viewports, an explicit REGEN may be required. In a number of cases we enforce it, at a performance cost. For speed, you sometimes may want to temporarily switch off PSLTSCALE.We started work on a solution to shorten the REGEN time when the geometry of the entities has not been changed.We hope this background information makes room for just a tiny bit of appreciation for the work our developers did to restore the PSLTSCALE stuff that got broken in ITC IntelliCad v4 source code.

• I just email you a zip file containing some drawings and a icad.lin file for your tests. If you do not get this file please let me know so I can try to send it again.But with these drawings and the explanation that I sent along with it, try and see if it plots out the hidden and dashed linetypes in the xref'd drawings in paperspace.

This discussion has been closed.