Dimension problem - ICAD/ACAD compatibility

One of our designers asked me to solve a problem with dimensions and I have to say I give up. After some testing, I created a sample drawing which shows the problem of compatibility with AutoCAD 2000 - download it from http://www.pontex.cz/Download/icad/DimProblem/DimProblem.zip I very much hope someone can show how to solve it by some change in dimension style settings. The ICADxACAD compatibility is a top priority for us, sharing drawings every day.Best RegardsVaclav Kvasnicka

Comments

• The Autocad drawing seems to have been created with globally altered dimension variables, dimoverrides, not saved to the dimension style. For instance, with the tick mark issue, the variable DIMTSZ is changed to a non-default value (in your case probably 1) in Autocad, without this change being saved to a dedicated dimension style. What I don't fully understand with your example drawings is why these variable overrides are not stored with the individual dimension entities, because normally they should be. A list of an entity should show which overrides have been made, your entities show nothing. This is the same in Autocad and Intellicad on my computer. How are dimension styles managed in the Autocad computers? Are variables set each time with a lisp or script file, or are they set at startup?

• I also tried to find what was overriden in the dimensions but found nothing which could cause the problem. This problem is specific to one ACAD user (origin of the drawing). I will investigate more...Still, one thing seems strange to me (and it appears in more cases, not just the one described): When I open the dwg created in ACAD, the dimensions are shown properly, just like in ACAD. But if I do even a minimum change of a dimension (like dragging its dimension line), the dimension gets wrong! Quite surprising, isn't it?RegardsVaclav

• there is a problem with tickmarks (which are different from architectural ticks) being ignored in intellicad. Instead, the normal arrows are shown that are also part of the dimension style. Apparently it's an old problem. The data is ok, but the representation block is wrong. The tickmarks are often ignored - but not always.The dimension representation is cached in an anonymous block. If you stretch or otherwise update a dimension, the anonymous block is updated. So the tickmarks are not gone. If you lose the tickmarks and go back to AutoCAD, you can get the tickmarks back.So once we fix the representation(we'll try to do that soon), you 'll have to do another dimension update in order to refresh the representation.Regards, sander, BricsCad

This discussion has been closed.