Problems, priorities, future

I'm getting into serious troubles explaining people that some seemingly basic errors are something they have to live with. Below is a list of the issues which cause most concern. Most of them were reported in separate threads earlier.1. ICAD ghostsThis is a problem which requires great care to be taken while checking the actual plotted sheets. Using the QPRINT (=Print button) slightly helps.2. CHAMFER bug (reported 21.10.2003)Obvious error. So far NO response from ICAD develeopers. Is this approved or totally ignored? 3. Error in ROTATE BY REFERENCE (reported 31.10.2003)Really annoying though a well instructed user can overcome it. But it doesn't make him happy at all..4. EXTEND, TRIM, SNAP et al errors (reported 16.10.2003, 16.1.2004)Critical, no easy workaround, if any. Raises serious doubts about the reliability and testing procedures of the product.5. Very poor implementation of local coordinate systems (items 1 and 2 as reported 27.2.2003 - 'What we need')There's still much to be improved here. For example, it is necessary to have GLOBAL coordinate system active in both drawings when using the COPY command. As long as no rotation of the UCS takes place, one can easily switch to GLOBAL before the COPY. But try to COPY some entities from a drawing with rotated local UCS and you get in trouble.6. Problems when copying complex linetypes between drawings (reported 25.7.2003)7. UNDO and zooming (reported 27.2.2003 - 'What we need')UNDO should treat a series of pan/zoom events (typically on a wheel mouse) as ONE step, otherwise one has to UNDO many times to really undo something - many regens required, takes time.8. UNDO dangerousUNDO often does things which one doesn't want/expect. Especially when many pan/zoom steps are recorded, the problems occurs more frequently.9. PAPER SPACE VIEWS (reported 27.2.2003 - 'What we need')Practically no improvement here. The contents of the view still moves when draggin the boundary in vertical direction. Also, the contents should be visible while dragging the border.10. No powerfull selection filter which could be comparable to FILTER in ACAD There are more issues but 10 is enough :-)In general, one could easily get an impression that only very little improvements took place which is sad. This would not be fair, though. I THINK a lot of work has been done in the 3D/solid modelling functions. But is it worth the effort?I think ICAD's future lies in stable and well tested core of 2D functionality including maximum compatibility with ACAD (with tha added 3D as an optional 'bonus'). Unfortunately, it seems that more development is currently concentrated on 3D etc. which is nice, but hardly the main perspective application of ICAD. If ICAD tries to compete with ACAD in the 3D/visualisation field, I doubt it can 'win'. If it brings perfect 2D functions (it nearly does!) including Lisp, VBA, compatibility etc. at its low price, it will see massive success. I hope the latter will be true.I'd like to hear from other users what are their preferences. After all, the developers might like to hear it as well.Sorry for the long text. We are making some decisions about future CAD equipment and the above mentioned problems make the otherwise easy decision not so obvious.Best regardsVaclav

Comments

• save your money and purchase AutoCAD........;the hours you've spent complaining about Bricscad over the past year on this newsgroup could easily have bought you a license seat; it's apparent to everyone that you'll never be able to generate money from design products with the hours you spend finding problems in life.........

This discussion has been closed.