Program Shutdown 2

Old subject, new thread.After a few weeks without much cad time, I'm back into it again, using Ver. 5.0.0011 Pro. The program crashes very often - seems to have something to do with using the context menus available with right-clicking the mouse. This is getting to be a real pain.Vaughn

Comments

• Have you tried unloading the Object Properties toolbar?

• Yes!I've been banging-away for about 2 hours now, and without a shutdown. Thanks for repeating the suggestion.If it blows up again soon, I'll let you know.Vaughn

• Now, a week later, the program is crashing every 10 minutes or so, without the Object Properties bar. What else could be the problem?

• Sorry to hear that. Dumping the Obj Prop made mine the most stable cad I have used, and on Win98 which is supposed to be not so good. The only things to upset it now are;Changing the layer of leaders (of all things) - I can do it through lisp but not with Chprop & it's a minor problem anyway.Working with Autocad files - these often cause a lot of trouble.Snap seems to stop working after a while so I keep Flyover snapping on. This might be an instability thing but I have no trouble with it left on.I had a lot of trouble with V3.04 (I think, and not B'cad's) some time ago - it finally got so bad it would not open any file nor could it be reinstalled. I found later that re-creating Icad.dwg in Icad98 would allow it to work again. I had not modified this file but it got corrupted somehow, I had lost confidence by then.There was a suggestion that VBA contributed to it so partly from superstition I guess, I now use the Standard versions & forego VBA.Can I suggest recreating the file Icad opens with?Oh, and the biggest thing I have found to upset windows - the constantly-checking festure in any virus software. I always turn it off & use Popcorn to sift emails.And check if any system file has been corrupted or replaced with a copy too old.

• John,Wow - big list!How do you check system files? (Re: Your last item above.)

• Perhaps more long-winded than comprehensive.System File Checker is under Tools in System Information for Win98. Not sure about XP or NT. It checks for DLL's etc which have been replaced, corrupted or deleted.I have noticed a right-mouse-click problem on other forums but never had the problem myself.

• John, et al - In a cursory look, can't find System File Checker in XP Pro. When I have time, I'll dig harder.I've trimmed my initial drawing down in size and the result seems to be a bit more stability.However, right-clicking is a killer. I've learned to hit Ctrl-S (quick save) before certain right-clicks. If I select several entities, and right-click, BricsCad crashes.

• You could try recreating Icad.dwg from scratch - File>New>Create new...Also, since some others have had the mouse thing, I wonder if it's a mouse driver problem? I use a Logitech trackball & never had that trouble.

• I have had the same mouse? problem. This also seems to happen when more than one entity selected, then rigth-click. My mouse is a Logitech - wireless infra. Maybe a bug in driver? I have the most recent. BTW don't do XP SP2.

• I use W98 not XP so I don't know about possible problems there.Under Display Performance (in W98 at least), one of the choices mentions correcting problems with mouse pointer. I use second from worst video accelaration, mainly since I tried it to correct some instability I can't even remember. But the machine is very stable so I keep the setting. Maybe that's worth a try.

• when I look that may be /my expirienc/:1. when you install other intllicad you must clear register windows and that install bricscad becaus command and look bricscad is not ok2. when you have mainboard nForce2 you must check spread procesor, not disable becaus only bricscad break, shutdown program, freazz and etc

• Rebus,This is interesting, but I don't understand.1) What do you mean by "clear register windows"? Do you mean "accept new toolbars"? (I usually keep the old setup.)2) What do you mean by "check spread processor"?My video card is nVidia FX5900XT. Thanks,VM

• John,Thanks. I'm starting a 2-day press to put out a set of drawings, anticipating a learning experience. If things go awry, I'll try video settings.VM

• uninstall all intellicad and you run "regedit" find all word "inttellicad" and delete all key in registry past reboot and install bricscad2. - mainboard with in my BIOS /my nf7-abit/FSB spread spectrum - 0,5%AGP spread spectrum -0,5%CPU thermal throttling -50%if I chance this settings that only Intellicad is not good work.I thinks that if your BIOS is overlocker you must default bios.by
  • Rebus,1) When I get the time.2) When I'm feeling frisky - but not real soon.Thanks,VM

• Oh, on computer setup. There is one thing which has caused me more grief than anything else - 2 machines I have had were each supplied with the HD & CD on the same cable. As soon as I put the CD on a separate cable into the other port, they each worked like 2 bob watches. Icad being the most demanding program I run, brought out the worst symptoms.

• there has been an instability in v5-0-0011display generation which has been fixed. The effect was seemingly erratic crashes on some drawings. That could explain some things...Currently, v5-0-0020 is availablesander, BricsCad

• We've just finished a marathon session, including a set of drawings. By training myself to use right-click with caution, I was able to finish off 7 sheets containing umpteen drawings and x-refs with great success. I think my problem is local to my machine. Brics is checking it out through a support request.Thanks for the great support - 'you-all'.Vaughn McIlrath

This discussion has been closed.