BricsCad V4 print dialog

The V5 print dialog with the new featues - 7 out of 12 variables marked * are not used by BricsCad yet. There is not much documentation of these variables and is a wonder to the users.Unfortunately, some users do not want to upgrade to V5 becasue of the weary of using the new PlotStyles and Plotter Manager and continue to use V4 but their problems continues, ....Does anyone know the command to activate the old V4 print dialog using the .pcp configuration?

Comments

• I wouldn't let the plotstyle business hold anyone back from upgrading because I have been happy with every increment, but to me the new plot performance has no apparent advantage. I guess it is to maintain similarity with Acad. If there is a way to run it as it was before plotstyles I would certainly be interested.

• Here's what our customer found out and currently testing.Start the Print Dialog (CTRL+P)Go to Plot style table (pen assignments) section, select NewIn the Add Color-Dependent Plot Style Table - Start dialog, select Use a PCP file, next browse to the .pcp file and select it, enter the name for the new plot stle table.The new ctb file is created with the pen settings from the .pcp file.And they continue with the Scale/View from here.

• I think that's what I do/did initially, so many sub-tables and stored files I don't want to disturb it now & have to dig through to find the one with all the options set the way I want again.Wouldn't your method create a new pcp (or whatever) for every damn plot? Can't quite see the advantage, but then I can't see the advantage of the whole new plotting arrangement.

• When you use a PCP file to create a Plot Style Table, a CTB file is created in the PLOT STYLES folder of the Bricscad installation folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\BricsCad\BricsCad\Plot Styles). The next time you want to use these settings you can select the CTB in the list on the PRINT dialog window. No need to go through the procedure again for every (damn) plot! Moreover, the reference to the selected CTB is saved in the drawing and if you use layouts, each of the layouts can have its own CTB assignment, which really is an advantage in my opinion.

• Good to hear there is some benefit for someone. Why does each layout need a different CTB assignment?

• Each layout CAN have a different CTB. By default the same CTB is assigned to all layouts.

• Still trying to work out why it's an advantage for ANY drawing to have its own CBT?

• Sorry, I think you still don't understand. The CTB's are not used for one drawing only but can be used for many drawings. You can define multiple CTB's wich then can be assigned to different drawings. The CTB is not saved in the drawing: CTB files are created in the PLOT STYLES folder of the Bricscad installation folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\BricsCad\BricsCad\Plot Styles).

• Sorry, a Reference to a CTB is stored in each drawing. That distinction makes no difference to how I will plot any particular file. I just want to make occasional small temporary changes to the way I plot most files, with the (helpful) facilities such as printer selections, properties & plot parameters, which were provided in the previous .pcp files. These had the feature of optionally saving changes and storing them all in the same place, what I can't understand is how the proliferation of screens, places to set & store parameters and saved files... helps.

• The modifications we made to printing, enable collaboration. Before, it was impossible for person B to print a drawing exactly like person A meant it to be: there was no way to store all settings (and yes there are a lot of settings that influence printing). To allow for compatibility, we used the same approach and the same file formats as found in AutoCad: there's little point in supporting the dwg format and creating a completely different mechanism to define printer settings.Still, we are not really happy either with the current printing dialogs, so we have planned a complete redesign in the coming year. Hope this gives some consolation...

• That was my understanding, can't see that Icad had too much choice but to follow Acad with it. I just picked up on the suggestion there might be a simpler way to plot ignoring the new arrangement. Louis' notes seemed to imply that there might be some advantage in addition to collaboration.This issue is really a flyspec compared with the overall excellent software which keeps getting better.

• Thank you for these pleasantly suprise responses.The Printing feature has been unsatisfactory since IntelliCAD 98 but we're seeing tremendous improvement in BricsCad, without having to pay additional fee. Louis's responses brings awareness to the advantages of the CTBs and Han's comments on enabling collaration amongst Project members is a clear example on CTB usage. The question is, if a Project Member would like an overview before starting a plot, ie a summary of a particular CTB to ensure that the Plot Settings are correct and according to that particular Project Plot Standard, is there a One-Click option to display the summary of the CTB settings?

This discussion has been closed.