AutoCAD "Out of Memory"

I have a drawing that I created in AutoCAD 2005. I added a dimension style and did a 3drotate in modelspace with BricsCAD v6. Now I cannot open the drawing with AutoCAD 2005 or 2006.

Comments

• We could not successfully reproduce this problem. Did this occur once or is it something that can be reproduced with this specific drawing? If so we would be very interested if you could enter a support request and attach the drawing.Best regards,Hans De Backer

• I have reported this bug to the support when it was version 5.2.0010.If you allow Bricscad to open and the save a 2004 or 2005 file format and then save it, Autocad will not be able to open the drawing again.Draw a simple line in Autocad and have it save it as a 2004 format. Open it in Bricscad and then save it.Now try opening it in Autocad, It will crash every time.We use Autocad Map 3d 2005 and I have to have them save it to 2000 format everytime otherwise the drawing will not be able to open it again if Bricscad saves it.The only way to get Autocad to open the drawing again it to save the drawing down to R-12. Then Autocad will be able to open the drawing again.James VanZandt

• Thanks ... that solves my immediate problem, I can open the drawing with AutoCAD again.Will that be corrected in BricsCAD anytime soon?

• James,I looked up the support request concerned and noticed that it had gone back and forth between several support analysts, none of them able to reproduce the problem. What went wrong is that our findings never were returned to you. Yesterday we did send you our findings, and for Donald's information: we found no problem opening the files using plain Autocad 2004 and 2005. Still, we noticed that, though James' sample drawing only contains one line, it also contains 200 Kb of proxy objects created with applications like ADT, CIVIL 3D and AeccLand10. We do not have any of these additional applications available, so we wonder if it makes a difference if these applications are running while opening the drawings. It would be interesting to know if Donald also uses such additional applications when the crash occurs.

• Our office is currently running Autocad Map 3D 2005, and just got Autocad Map 3D 2006 in but have not installed it yet.We need this version of Autocad to use with our GIS database as well as inserting the Mr.Sid Aerial Photos into our drawings. Is there any chance that you will be supporting the objects that this version of Autocad puts into drawings anytime soon?In the meantime I will be looking into a way of posibly disabling some of the Map Tools and see if this helps.

• We are using AutoCAD Map 2005 and Map 2006 as well. We do not own any versions of just AutoCAD...The problem still exists in BricsCAD 6.1.0006.

• I have had numerous problems DAILY with this type of problem. I do electrical construction and/or lighting layouts from architectural backgrounds FREQUENTLY drawn using Architectural Desktop (using proxy graphics). My default is to save as Acad2000 and I still have NUMEROUS complaints from the other contractors (mechanical HVAC, fire protection, etc. as well as the architect I GOT the backgrounds from) about my drawings being corrupt and cannot even be recovered. It seems to be a BIG problem with those drawn with various versions of Architectural Desktop. I talked to an architect that said he called Autodesk because they were even having problems internally with incompatibility. AcadLT had problems with their own files too. The object enablers don't help because you can only load ONE version and who knows what version will be used for the files you may get? Anyway, Autodesk told them to "upgrade to Autodesk Inventor to fix the problem". Sounds like a GREAT fix to me - pay another $1500 over the $3000 you paid for Autocad and try to find someone to run it. LOL ! ! ! ! ! ! I had a nice talk with them about Icad and Bricscad Architecturals. Anyway, have been having to wblock my work out of the backgrounds and send them to the contractors to insert into their own backgrounds. Will try saving as Acad R12. Thanks for the tip.

• We found that if you save drawings containing ADT objects with Bricscad, AutoCAD versions 2004 and later can crash on the drawings. Our dwg library does some seemingly innocuous modifications to ADT objects(it's a kind of partial unpacking) which do not bother AutoCAD 2002 , and which for most ADT objects don't bother AutoCAD 2004 either, but AutoCAD 2004 and later are vulnerable to the changes in specific objects and crashes on load. We modified the dwg library to fix this and are testing the changes now. To be released soon.Alexander Van HeuverzwynBricscad

This discussion has been closed.