Linux Startup

I appreciate that BricsCAD (paid for) V6 may not run so well on Mandrake systems running KDE. [ Running PCLinuxOS 9.1 @ present while awaiting a new hard drive. ]That said, it ought to still get started though.Chasing all the errors around I finally got BricsCAD V6 to 'fire' enough at least to allow me to enter the licence key. At that I got to see the start up splash screen and then it hung. It required a link to icad.exe.so be made in /usr/lib/wine/~ before I got to see anything at all.Closed that with the Ctl+c shortcut but since then this is what I get :[frank@localhost frank]$ wine icad.exe.soLoading required GL library /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2ICAD_TRACE: Loading icad.dll..ICAD_TRACE: Module icad.dll loaded[frank@localhost frank]$Yet the popup dialogue states: < Title > LoadLibrary error < Body > Could not load the application's module icad.dll (126)Any suggestions for this newbie anyone ?

Comments

• V6 runs on Mandrake with KDE but we have a problem with hangups when toolbars are floating. If this occurs it occurs systematically, but we haven't understood yet why it occurs on some machines and not on others. Until we fix that, the only approach we have when encountering such a problem, is to change WINE configuration to switch to virtual desktop mode (since the june version of WINE, this can be done though a dialog with the command WINECFG). But otherwise the program should start without problems.We're not going to support PCLinuxOS in the near future, but we will assemble a checklist to at least assist interested people so they can help themselves(see our knowledgebase item 159). startup of bricscad happens through the ./icad script. This script sets the necessary environment variables to apply during the session. Please don't create shortcuts in /usr/lib/wine. You'll see in the script that the two necessary variables are LD_LIBRARY_PATH and WINEDLLPATH.After these are set, icad.exe.so can run under WINE and find the necessary binaries. We set them only during the session, so the LD_LIBRARY_PATH outside of a bricscad session is not affected.Also, make sure you have v6.0.0014-3 because we had an unnecessary dependency before this.I hope this can get you started.Alexander Van Heuverzwyn,Bricscad.

• Thank you for that. A couple of points.PCLinuxOS is based on Mandrake so the wine package remains unaltered I think.Bricscad has started once to allow me to enter the licence code but simply hung at the splash screen after that, so I suspect the the system variables are correct. Still, will recheck as per your feedback.I have installed and run winesetuptk and now my system has two "windows". So I need to sort that out to ensure Bricscad and I are going after the same one. ( /drive_c and /fake_windows ~ go figure.)Have addressed wine.config to point at the /drive_c version for now.If you see anything wrong here please let me know. I'll get back to enjoying Bricscad yet.

• Missed another point.I am using the version mentioned.

• Update:Thanks to the help from Alexander I have got BricsCAD up and running on Mandriva 2005 LE on vt8 with Gnome.The problem ( though not tested yet ) appears to be that I was customizing a Mandriva specific wine package with the like of winesetuptk.Success was achieved by directly installing wine ( # rpm -Uvh wine.etc [ downloaded directly from a winehq mirror] ) and not doing anything with it until BricsCAD was installed and running. { Wine version - 200508.etc }If you have read this because you too are having problems then do not only un-install wine but ensure you also remove the $HOME/.wine directory before you start re-installing anything. If you un-install wine using mcc then BricsCAD will also be un-installed so you get to start afresh.

This discussion has been closed.