New Bricscad for Linux version?

When can we expect new Bricacad for Linux version?I presume that it will be a bugfix release for 6.00 version?Best regards, Ljubo

Comments

• I tink that the next Bricscad version wil be a beta of the new native one version. Because the 6.0 is not updated sice january.I hope current bricscad users wil get the chance to beta test the new native version. Because I cant wait until the native version!

• I want to try it too. Right now I'm using ubuntu and centos because of bricscad (it does not run on ubuntu)

• It will be very good if we could have beta version for testing, but we must have a stable, and less buggy, version for production use.IMHO, stable 6.x version is imperativ.It will be also very good to have, at least once a month, a status report on future updates.Best regards, Ljubo

• I have a hard work to use b4l every day for job and I think that bugs of the version under wine is by now famous but not easy solvable, it can be noticed from the messages of the shell when b4l/wine run.The wine way was necessary in order to demonstrate the functionality of b4l under linux but for a professional use, native version is necessary oneSo I hope that together to the native version and the solution of the bugs, in the new version they added also the more useful instruments of version 7 of bricscad like the snaptrack, Apparent & Extended intersection snap, export to DWF, export to BMP, Full ACIS modeling & editing, e-drop etc...excused to my English and... thanks to babel fishciao ciaograziano

• Hello,Could someone from bricscad give some information abaut in what stage the development of the native bricscad is. I "and i think many others" am verry curious in what stage the new native version is.Greets Emiel

• We still are well on schedule, which means: release second half of 2007. Best regards,Hans De BackerBricsCad Development

• how much time... currently I am working exclusively with b4l and I have noticed an increment of the performances under xfce regarding the others windowmanagers, above all not qualifying the POP-UP of the optionsciaograziano

• We're getting close to second half of 2007 - is a native Linux version of Bricscad still on schedule?I'm a windows user but have been moving to the linux world as I've been able. Now using all linux-available programs (like the Gimp, and OpenOffice) except for Bricscad. Would love to be able to make the jump and leave Windows for good. Using Kubuntu Feisty Fawn. Have tried to make Bricscad run through Wine but am having some problems and since reading this topic have decided not to go through the trouble of making it work if another version will be out within a month or two.Thanks.

• I'm also wondering about the status of a real Linux version.We need to purchase another CAD license soon, and the choice is between AutoCAD LT or Bricscad for Linux.I would prefere to switch our last systems over to Linux, but how is the future for Bricscad for Linux looking?I don't want to make the switch and then later discover that Bricscad for Linux is discontinued...Tomas

• There is a most interesting line of text in Bricscad V8 announcement:"...the Bricscad kernel has been rewritten from scratch..."I hope that one of the reasons for rewrite is to have a common kernel base for Linux and Win version.I really hope that Linux version is in development, because I find current Bricscad for Linux pretty unstable, and thus annoying and very close to useless for daily professional work.I will try it on Fedora, just to be sure that my Gentoo Linux config is not the cause of unstable wine+Bricscad behaviour. I am experiencing frequent crashes when dealing with multiple open files and sometimes working with print dialog.I'am really eager to be a beta tester for native Linux Bricscad when available.I hope that I will not be forced to switch to VMware and Win version of Bricscad :-(Best regards, Ljubomir

• I will fill up the bug report for all mentioned problems :-)

• Ljubomir Bozic wrote:"I hope that one of the reasons for rewrite is to have a common kernel base for Linux and Win version."I was kind of hoping for that also...So, what's up Bricsys?Is the Linux version still developed, or is it discontinued?I don't think we are asking for too much here, just an update about the current situation would be fine.Tomas

• One of the reasons for the rewrite is indeed the preparation of native Linux support. This rewrite is currently being continued and is scheduled to be completed by the end of this year. We will use as much common source code as possible for the Windows and Linux versions, though inevitably a part will be different. Our current estimate is that this will take another six months to develop, which sets the time when we expect to have the native Linux version to summer 2008.Best regards,Hans

• Hans De Backer wrote:"One of the reasons for the rewrite is indeed the preparation of native Linux support."Thanks for the info!One more question, what Linux distributions do you plan to support?I'm currently using Debian on server, firewall and at home and plan to migrate (from Windows) to Debian at work also as soon as I find a decent CAD application that has good enough compability with AutoCAD and works in Debian.So, will the native version work in Debian?RegardsTomas Nykung

• While we have the general intention to support the popular platforms we can't offer a list now of what platforms we'll actively support, in the sense that there is an installer instead of just a tar, that we tested on the distro, that we fix bugs that are specific to that distribution. It doesn't mean the product can't be made to work on other distributions but it will be more work.kind regards,Alexander Van Heuverzwyn Bricsys

• Is it possible to go partially GPL for stuff thatisn't proprietary cad kernel code so thatOpen Source programmers can acceleratedevelopment...for free? (ie: MS FoundationClass replacement work etc..)

• If you have a beta versión, we can do test.Let us help

This discussion has been closed.