3d solutions

As efficient as Bricscad is we're in need of a3d modeler, but there are so many to choosefrom. Maybe someone out there has an opinionon which is the best in conjunction with Bricscad.

Comments

• Have you looked at Sketchup? Ideal for concept design, perhaps not so good for final detail. Does dwg import/export

• SketchUp, Autodesk Viz, Bryce 5 and World Builder are all good modeling and rendering programs. 3D model development in Bricscad is cumbersome at the least. I posted a query several months ago asking Bricscad developers to develop a routine to export drawing files to the .3ds (3D Studio) format as this is the universal key to converting your CAD models over into the mainstream 3d modeling and rendering programs. I was told that this was not likely at any time in the foreseeable future as the primary focus of Bricscad was and is it's core development.

• Tim, the answer will vary greatly, depending on your company's needs. Here are some free programs I've come across.Alibre Express is a free parametric solid modeler that is great for machined parts or simple mechanical assemblies. Of course, their paid Pro version has a lot more capabilities, but even the free vesion has quite extensive abilities. I've forgotten if it will export an ACIS solid, which is what you would want for BricsCAD Pro.Google offers a free version of Sketchup mentioned by Andy. This program is geared towards simplified architectural illustrations. I don't know what its import-export abilites are.For mesh type modeling that perhaps Edward Fenzl is focused on, I've used Amapi 5.15, which was also offered for free when I used it.Joe DunfeeIt had a good variety of in-out put.

• Thanks for the input gentlemen. My line of workis pressure vessels - which would involve anything from piping to structural steel andsheet metal. I'm thinking about SolidWorks sinceIntellicad is included somehow in their dwg translator. Alibre is nice but it's sheet metal capabilities is limited to box like geometry and we work with cone shapes. Anything from Autodesk is out of the question due to bloatedpricing. Really since our products don't involveany moving/complex parts anything out there is pretty much overkill.

• I can highly recommend Solidworks. I have done weldments using structrural tubing with their weldment feature. They also have a lot of add-on features (many from 3rd parties) which may help in analysis.They have a version of IntelliCAD as their DWG editor, so BricsCAD users will certainly be familiar with it.To give BricsCAD a bit of attention here, they do have a special Structural package which is quite feature rich. (I have not used it myself)Joe Dunfee

• Hi Tim,

I see you do Pressure vessel design and are looking at 3d solutions. Could it be because you generate different designs which are only parametrically different? And if you could update your 2d drawings parametrically, you may not need to go to 3d? If that may be the case, may I suggest you look at our software Parametric2D (its on the Bricsys application area as well as at www.3dbrains.com/parametric2d.html). Let me know if that meets your purpose.

This discussion has been closed.