Command Bar Docking

In a prior version (4.1.040) I was able to dock the command bar in the upper right corner and have a toolbar immediately to it's left. In V6.2.0024, I can't figure out how to do this. The command bar wants to occupy the entire width of the screen and push the tool bar above or below it. A full width command bar is such a waste of space! Any ideas?

Comments

• You can place toolbars on top of the unused right hand side of the command window: press and hold the Shift or Ctrl key while dragging a toolbar to prevent it from docking.

• Thank you, Louis. It's not quite the layout I was hoping for but it does save valuable screen space.

• With toolbars over the right side of the command window, they cover up parts of some longer strings of text in the command window. With the command window reduced in size and located on the left, longer text will wrap to the next line below and all will be visible.I now have the command window reduced in size and floating (not docked) in the upper right with two horizontal stacked toolbars floating to its left. Unfortunately, when you Zoom Window the floating stuff covers up the part of the window view you selected.Guess I'm still trying to find out how I was able to dock a reduced width command window back with V4.

• I did some 'time travel' and had a look at V4... I can indeed confirm that it was possible to dock the 'Command Bar' within other toolbars...Nowadays the command bar tries to spread and fill horizontally when docked.One could of course argue that, if you try to reduce the size command bar to one line in an effort to save 'screen-estate', you might as well dispose of it all together. When toggling the display the command bar off (Menu>Command Bar) the active command will only be echoed on the status bar and (when the need arises) you can always use F2 to toggle display/hide the 'expanded' Command History... ?

• I use the command window frequently when inquiring distances, inserting text, and when using certain functions that I do not use very often and need prompting by the software program. The window needs to be a minimum of 3 lines high - or about the height of two horizontal toolbars stacked on top of each other. It certainly doesn't need to be full screen width. Half screen width would be plenty and would leave room for docking toolbars beside it.Optimizing the amount of "screen-estate" is important (to me) in order to maximize the viewing area and reduce the amount of inefficient panning and zooming around a large drawing model. Will Bricsys consider restoring the ability to reduce a docked command window?

• I can hold ctrl+left mouse and move the command bar wherever I like, but there is really nowhere it is not causing some sort of obstruction.I am learning to live without it, using the single command line instead - if that could be 2 lines it might help a lot because it is relatively smaller than the bar. I use F2 when necessary.

• You can also close the command window in which case the command prompts and keyboard entries display in the status bar ... Use F2 to open the prompt history window if necessary.

• That's what I meant.Usually the textscreen window appears (however big or small you have made it) to display the results when the command bar is off and the command "distance" is given, but recently this has adopted the habit of not doing it. If I double click on an empty part of the status bar, flip screen works for Distance command. At other times the double click brings up or removes the command bar. Strange.

• In V6.2.0024, with the Command Bar off, checking distances causes the Prompt History box to appear. You have to close it when you're done. However, the Prompt History box seems to give me the information I need similar to the Command Bar. Also, the Prompt History box "floats" and does not dock into the toolbar area. So I now have two horizontal toolbars stacked over each other and docked in the upper toolbar, buttons in each extend over the left half of the screen, and I have floated the Prompt History box over the right half of the toolbars. I think I might be happy!

This discussion has been closed.