3D work

Anyone use Bricscad for 3D work in the mechanical realm and to what extent? I'vebeen trying to model parts but really needa book or some kind of tutorial to help mealong. The help sections in Bricscad reallydon't clarify the 3D capabilities so for all Iknow another application may be a betteroption for 3D work.

Comments

• I've done a fair amount of mechanical design using AutoCAD, so I expect most of that experience applies to BricsCad as well. (this has mostly been for hydraulic/electro-mechanical moving theatrical sets)In general, their 3d and mechanical design abilities have been far superceded by other programs for over a decade. But, that said, the parametric programs like Solidworks have their own burdons, and sometimes it is easier to do it on a program like Bricscad. For example, if your mechanims mostly act in a 2-D plane, you might do OK with Bricscad. If you want to push one point of the mechanism, and see how the rest of the device moves, your only choice is to go with one of the 3D parametric modelers. I vaguely recall reading about some add-ons for AutoCAD, many years ago, which had some ability to move linkages. I've searched around the internet but couldn't find any. If any of them still exist, and perhaps able to work with BricsCad, I would love to hear about it.Joe Dunfee

• An additional note. In general, you need to work using the 3d Solids (ACIS solids). But these can be frustrating to work with, because your the STRETCH command becomes useless. You must use special solid editing commands that aren't as easy to use.Some more info I just found on the net.If you want to do 2D motion studies, here is a shareware package. It seems to be a stand-alone package, though it can import drawing.http://www.irisa.fr/vista/Motion2D/index.htmlThe following program that is a 2D parametric add-on to AutoCAD. I've already E-mailed them to ask about IntelliCAD compatability. Note that the program is currently in Beta.Joe Dunfee

• I've been using Bricscad's 3D capabilities recently, mostly for "artist's concepts" for pitches and presentations -- albeit with reasonable dimensional and shape accuracy.As Joe says, you'll want to work with ACIS solids. I usually start with a planar section, extrude that, and then edit as necessary. With adding and subtracting geometric primatives it's possible to get quite detailed and accurate models without a lot of effort. Note that chamfer/fillet work on 3D edges and that you can "extrude" things at an angle (e.g., extrude a plane square to a pyramid shape vice a cube).

• Give the Alibre Design (free version) and Google 'Sketchup' (free version) a try............

This discussion has been closed.