object highlighting

I have found recently that after highlighting an object by clicking on it, if I click on it again to cancel the object will on occasion move. This is not good especially since the movement is very very slight (i.e., hard to detect). Is this a bug?I am trying to get in the habit of hitting the ESC key to avoid this problem.

Comments

• I have noticed this also and it can really ruin your day when you realize you have corrupted your data that has to remain accurate. It has to do with the grips being turned on and when you click the second time you are pulling on the grip. The grips need to be turned off and I have not figured how this is done yet.

• To deactivate grips, type GRIPS at the command linethen enter Off. I'm not sure where this toggle is in themenu system.

• To disable object dragging go to Settings>Drawing SettingsÂ&Â. On the ÂDisplay tab you can select the behavior for dragging in the ÂEntity Dragging section of this dialog. Set this to ÂNo Dragging or ÂEnable dragging when requested to turn off automatic dragging (moving) of objects. When set to ÂNo Dragging no dynamics will be shown (e.g. when moving entities, or when adding arc sections to a polyline). I prefer setting it to ÂEnable dragging when requested which allows you to see dynamics but disables the dragging of entities.This setting is stored in the DRAGMODE variable. (Choose ÂOff for ÂNo DraggingÂ, ÂOn for ÂEnable draggins when requested and ÂAuto for ÂEnable dragging whenever possibleÂ)Note: setting the GRIPS variable to off has no effect on this setting, you just wonÂt see the grips on the entities, but youÂll still be able to drag them.

• Yes this is an old one. This solution is the fix!!!!!!This only turns off the display of the moving entities. You still move them, you just don't see it hapening. This needs a real fix!!!!

• sorry meant to sayThis solution is NOT the fix

• I can add that it did not always happen, I think it arrived with the ability to double click for entprop perhaps in V5. Not sure if there is a setting for that but it's a handy feature. I tend to select with crossing windows now because of the behaviour.

• Who out there would know if there is a setting for that?

• OK, you do have a point. We are reluctant to add yet another setting, there's already a ton of similar settings, and noone can remember in which dialog they are to be found... Instead we will try to improve the behaviour and make the extra setting unneeded. Before starting to drag entities to a new location, the mouse button will have to be depressed for a certain time, not long, but long enough to avoid unintentional dragging.

This discussion has been closed.