V8 on Linux w/ Wine

Hi Folks,I recently got a new laptop which is running Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon. Also running Wine 0.9.46. Yesterday I retrieved many old files from an old computer and put them on the laptop. A couple of old .EXE went with the good files and when I clicked on them to delete them, they started right up, no problems under wine, so I was intrigued. I went to the Bricscad site and downloaded the windows version of Bricscad 8.1.7 to the laptop and it opened right up and installed itself nicely. Will open and close large files quickly. Does basic drafting and has passed all the tests I've put it through (not too many tests at this point.) It only crapped out on one drawing and I don't know why because it didn't do it again. Only two real problems: 1) I get an error on most drawings that I open saying something about "object of class ..." which is fixed by opening the file with "recover," but who wants to do that for hundreds or thousands of files, and 2) the letters Q and P on my keyboard are mapped to pan up and pan down - I get around that by using the shift key too.Anyway, it isn't native linux, but it's working pretty well. Will be testing it more. Thought I'd let others know.

Comments

• The only problem I have found is that the layer drop down overlaps the object property select dropdown (line style, width, color). Other than that it runs well.

• Hey.I tried it too with mostly same problems. Mostly, because I couldn't save or open files. It doesn't even open the dialogs. From wine I get an error message saying:wine: Call from 0x60296c10 to unimplemented function advapi32.dll.RegOverridePredefKey, abortingAnyone any ideas?

• With Wine-1.0rc1, tt seems to run well here. I didn't see any of the problems you mentioned, though maybe I didn't use it long enough.Please give wine-1.0rc1 a try and report anyproblems to the wine appdb,http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=11914

• I have successfully installed V 8.2.12 with Wine and it ran fine from the "Run Bricscad now" prompt. I did some simple tests and it appeared to be working OK. Upon closing down, I could not make it work again. My experience with Wine is much too limited and, although I downloaded and thorughly read the Manual I was unable to find bricscad.exe. Therefore, in a terminal I typed "locate bricscad" and indeed found it at: /root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Bricsys/Bricscad/bricscad.exe.However, typing "winefile" and looking into the C drive does not show the Bricsys folder in Program Files. Am I missing something? BTW the Wine version is 1.0.Will appreciate your help with this issue. I would like to test V8 or the upcoming V9 and report my findings here.

This discussion has been closed.