Block Attribute Order

In Bricscad v8 is there a method to change the order of the attribute prompts in a Block? All I found on the web was some references to an ACD express tool.Thanks,Steve

Comments

• Don't know about v8, but I believe the order always became fairly random if any attributes were edited or recreated after the original block was created, in past versions and before that in Autocad as well.All I could do was delete and create new attributes hoping the order would come out right, there never seemed to be a logic to the sequence.Maybe that's not too clear, but after originally creating the block with attributes, I think it's hardly worth the frustration of trying to re-order them if they weren't in the order you wanted or have become jumbled... unless there is something different about v8.

• Attributes are displayed in the order you pick them when you define the block. If you need to redefine the order (or add/subtract elements) of attributes that already exist in multiple copies, there used to be a nice and essential lisp routine for that - attredef.lsp. It should be easy to find on the net.The problem is attredef.lsp doesn't seem to work with Bricscad v8, probably because of some bug(s) in the lisp engine. It does work in v7 if you got that installed.

• Thanks for the input, I'm just going to leave it as is.... out of order.

• Attributes order is dependent on the selection order when creating a block, that is, you should select the attributes one at a time in the order you want them to show in the definition dialog.To change the order just explode an instance of the block and redefine it.Attributes are useful if properly used, for instance, if you have a door block and the attributes define the door type, color, brand, hinge type, finish, lock type, etc. you can then use attribute extraction to generate lists of materials and the like. In my case, we use CAD in large scale design build projects where we have found attributes to be highly beneficial as proper care creating the blocks with attributes have proven to be beneficial in the process of procurementBest Regards,José

This discussion has been closed.