Importing Layers

I would like to import layers and their entities from drawing 1 to drawing 2. The layer names and line types are imported into Explorer but, none of the entities on any of the layers from drawing 2 are imported imported to drawing 2. The layers are turned ON in Drawing 2. I have tried various copy and paste combinations but still no entities are displayed in drawing 2. I have followed the Viewlets video, but no luck. What am I missing?

Comments

• When copying layers from one drawing to another, only the layer definition is copied, not the layer content. This is 'as designed'.If you want to copy the entities on a specific layer to another drawing do the following:1. Select the entities you want to copy.You can use the ISOLATE LAYER tool on the BONUS toolbar to display only the entities on one (or more) layers. (see the BONUS TOOLS movie to learn how to install these tools).2. Choose COPY in the EDIT menu or press Ctrl+C.3. Go to the target drawing, by doing one of the following:- Select the drawing in the bottom section of the WINDOW menu.- Press Ctrl+tab (press and hold the Ctrl key, then press the TAB key until the target drawing displays.4. In the target drawing choose PASTE in the EDIT menu or press Ctrl+V.The selected entities display dynamically.5. Do one of the following:- press ENTER to paste the selection using the same coordinates as in the source drawing.- click to paste the entities at a different locationNOTE: If the layer does not exist in the target drawing, the layer definition of the source drawing is copied along with the entities.

• Thanks Louis - Copy and paste entities between drawings works well. I wasn't familiar with using the Enter Key to paste the selection into the same coordinates as the original drawing.

• The "paste to original coordinates" function is not well documented.CURRENT COMMAND LINE:: _copyclip : : _pasteclip Select insertion point: SHOULDN'T IT LOOK LIKE THIS-COMMAND LINE:: _copyclip : : _pasteclip Select insertion point [ orig. coords.]: OR some variation thereof...Make sense? There are a lot of new CAD users that need that kind of information.Steve MarcottePresidentSeptiCAD, Inc.

• I find it more convenient to use the regular copy command between drawings - since it allows to specify any displacement point.

• I've noticed that copy/pasting between files sometimes places the objects a long way from where I click. That happens with some files I get from other people. I assume those files have a setting that I don't know about. But in those cases the regular Copy command always puts the objects where I click.Cut/copy/paste seems reliable when it's all done in the same file. I use it to move things between model and paperspace, and for pasting the same object in several places as I travel around a file.

• Check the Ortho setting when you copy/paste to another drawing, may be this will helpBest Regards,José

This discussion has been closed.