Linux Cad Alternatives

Does anyone know of any other cad systems for linux?

Comments

• as i know BricsCAd is very very close to AutoCAd original - so better try it. thought sometmes i ude standart ubuntu "autocad" QCAD

• There are several. Check out the application list on http://www.linux.orgI have also used ARCAD for a while. It is a nice app. with 2d/3d and rendering availabel for 32 and 64 bit linux but expensive (1800.-- euro or more). I changed because of the price and the poor import- and export functions. http://www.arcad.deRegards,Henk Jan

• Bricscad is a very good CAD, and have plans for a linux version.Zwcad have plans too.

• arcad is only in germanthat is most problem for meafaik arcad try to be a BIM... I do not like such way I work with BIM solution Archicad... and found that 2D drawing(with scripting) is more productive than BIM... and for 3D i offten use blender... it is free and very nice to me.

• as free alternative of cad i use pythoncad also exist's thancad and qcad(as was saying before)... But it still very poor.

• Varicad is powerful linux based 3d/2d program...worth looking into. While it will read/write dwg files and present the information in a 2d drawing it does so completely in model space-it has no ability for paperspace. Otherwise, it's very powerful and a great linux 3d alternative to Alibre, inventor, Solidworks etc.

• Ryan

The currently available Linux CAD systems are rubbish. If you were to try and use them professionally on a daily basis you might just as well stop every hour on the hour and burn a $50 note.

There is no credible alternative to the expensive (>US$2000) CAD packages if you are actually using the program to produce deliverables for a fixed fee. Perhaps if you're lucky enough to bill by the hour, then VariCAD might be worth a look as it's reasonably powerful. It's probably the closest to a professionally usable native linux package as you'll find right now. I've been making a point of taking a look at each new release of it. It is certainly developing in the right direction.

I would say no. Not any I'd use in my business to produce ANYTHING for my clients. Not yet.

Erik

• My ARCAD installations which come with opensuse realeases had always have a major display problem (with nvidia quadro chipsets). The graphical window gets imediately cluttered with the cursor traces in editing mode. And the other problem is that ARCAD is specifically based on German fixed standards. BIM systems are great for quick and massive networked employment (some serious problems arise with that technique as well, such as critical decission making on combining otputs or commissioning), and not for standard practice. What I always needed and used extensively is easy scripting and adapting to specific purpose.(AutoLisp and parsing commands from .scr file to AutoCad along with xdata manipulation did the trick from R12 on, which I consider the best release) . I didn't get my free Bricscad installation to that point of functionality, because there are some differences in command interpreter prompts, so I had to chek my lisp scripts for that. Anyway, for the speed (yes, I can experience the speed even compared to openGL AutoCAD installations on winxp)  and ease of use Bricscad under wine was much better than AutoCAD2000-2007 under winxp. Major drawback with Bricscad is that it seems you can't directly connect your drawing entities to external database. I asume that it is possible with another Bricsys products, but didn't try them.  I didn't purchased the licence, because It's too much complicated for me to connect to my databases via wine.

best regards

This discussion has been closed.