Bricscad & Ubuntu - how 2 install properly?

hi folks,i have trouble to get bricscad up and running.i am using ubuntu 8.04. with wine-1.0-rc2.i downloaded the linux-versions of bricscad: Bricscad-6.0.0017-1.de_DE.i386.rpm, which i converted with alien to an .dep pakage and installed it:

root@calypso:/lokales/download# dpkg -i bricscad_6.0.0017-2_i386.debWähle vormals abgewähltes Paket bricscad.(Lese Datenbank ... 130078 Dateien und Verzeichnisse sind derzeit installiert.)Entpacke bricscad (aus bricscad_6.0.0017-2_i386.deb) ...Richte bricscad ein (6.0.0017-2) ...wine: created the configuration directory '/root/.wine'Could not load Mozilla. HTML rendering will be disabled.wine: configuration in '/root/.wine' has been updated.err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"regapp.exe": libwine_unicode.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directorywine: could not load L"C:\\windows\\system32\\regapp.exe": Prozedur nicht gefundenThe release information shown here is available in the file/opt/bricscad/release.txt

when i use rpm to install Bricscad-6.0.0017-1.de_DE.i386.rpm directly, i get the same error.when i try to start icad, i get another error:

calypso 137% ./icadwine: created the configuration directory '/homes/felix/.wine'Could not load Mozilla. HTML rendering will be disabled.wine: configuration in '/homes/felix/.wine' has been updated.err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"icad.exe": libwine_unicode.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directorywine: could not load L"C:\\windows\\system32\\icad.exe": Prozedur nicht gefunden

I also tried extracting Bricscad-6.0.0017-1.de_DE.i386.tar manually and copied its content to /opt/bricscad.same result.i have no idea what i could do next or what went wrong. i am not a complete newbe to linux but far, far away from being very familliar with it.i would appreciate any help of yours!tia,felixp.s.: i am sorry that my shell output is german but i hope it is understandable anyway...

Comments

• allright...since nobody seems to have an answer to that question, i have tried another thing: i downloaded and installed the windows BricscadPro-V8.2.8-1-de_DE.exe file and installed it with wine...now its running fine, i have no problems as far as i tested it.is there any reason why i should NOT use the bricscad windows version on my linux system?anyway, if i encounter problems, i will mention them here...oh yes, i allmost forgot: ive updated wine to version wine-1.0-rc3 today, before i tried installing bricscad V8 for windows.

• I can't answer for the Windows version but I installed the linux version using the tgz file on Debian lenny and all is fine with wine 1.0-rc1

• hey guys,i recieved an email concerning this topic by Karlheinz Boehme:

Bricsys hat uns mitgeteilt, dass Sie Probleme mitBricscad unter Linux haben. So wie ich es verstandenhabe, versuchten Sie es mit der deutschen Versionunter Ubuntu.Wir haben etliche User, die erfolgreich mit Bricscadarbeiten, allerdings müssen wir gestehen, dass es mitder deutschen Version unter aktuellen Linux Distributionennicht funktioniert, da diese Version gegen eine ältereVersion von WINE gelinkt ist und daher mit einigermassenaktuellen WINE Versionen die von Ihnen beschriebnenFehler wirft. Als Abhilfe geht zur Zeit nur, die letzte englischeLinux-Version zu installieren (v6.0.0020 wenn ichnicht irre) oder auf die native Linux-Version zuwarten. Diese ist allerdings erst für Ende des Jahresgeplant, wobei ich auch für diesem Termin nicht garantieren möchte.

for the non-german-poeple out there:he stated that there is a number of users which use bricscad successfully but that there are problems with german version of bricscad because it is linked against older WINE versions and that newer WINE versions produce the errors, i described.as a workaround he advises to install the latest english linux-bricscad version (v6.0.0020 if he's not mistaken) or wait for the release of the native linux bricscad version which is set for the end of the year but not guaranteed.so far the informations i have on this, the tests of the windows-pro version i installed under wine will be conducted in the next few days...so lon,felix

• the only thing i encountered so far is a general wine problem: the .chm help files of windows are not displayed properly, in case of bricscad the images in the help file are not shown which makes the whole help-file sort of not-really-helpful. :/but as a workaround, there are some programs to display such help files in an linux enviroment, gnochm for gnome for example.this does the job.greetz, felix

• 2Felix RobraDid you have installed Mozilla in your system?If you already have itupdate your wine to latest version (for me it 1.1.1)

sudo apt-get update wine

it seems to me that wine has no any preferred directory for bricscad v6 for linux, so try winetricks from any X-terminal you use... then try to choose[x] gecko - The HTML Rendering engine(Mozilla)from the list (you should have internet connection for this)i'm not ubuntu user so i can mistake in some specific casesif you experience one more troubles try to post wine error log here...

• 2Felix Robrai forgot very importent thingNEVER RUN WINE as ROOTyou configure wine in /root/.wine it is really bad for your system... wine should run viruses at least... as well as other windows programms

This discussion has been closed.