Default SAVE format

I used to be able to specify a default format to save in (i.e., something other than 2007 DWG), so that BricsCad would normally save in that format without having to use Save As each time. But now I can't find a setting for it anywhere.Is that still possible? Can anyone steer me to it?

Comments

• You mean the SaveFormat variable?

• I don't know. I don't remember using a SaveFormat variable, and BricsCad 8.2.6 doesn't show it when I ask for a list of variables with the Setvar command.I thought it was something I used to set via the Save As window. I could either set the format for the current save, or I could specify a format for all saves. The same list of choices for both. Am I remembering something that wasn't there?

• Sorry for not being accurate in my previous post: SaveFormat actually is a 'Preference': this is a setting which Autocad does not store in a system variable, but rather somewhere in the registry. In Bricscad V8 all Preferences are set using the Settings dialog. In Bricscad V7, the name of these preferences was not shown, but they existed and were used to store (some of) the values in the Drawing Settings, Options and Dimension Settings dialogs. The Save Format actually was set in one of the subdialogs of the Options dialog.How many man-years would have been spent by dwg users in search for that damned setting they had come across one day, but couldn't find now? In V8 we gathered all settings in a single Settings dialog and introduced a search mechanism to help the poor user find his way through the many hundreds of system variables and preferences that exist in the dwg world. In fact, when you asked how to set the default save format, the Settings dialog helped me find the answer in seconds: I opened it and started typing 'Save' (the search field has the focus right from the start), next I clicked the arrow to the right of the search field a few times to jump to the next occurence of the word 'Save' and there it was: SaveFormat. Best regards

• Thanks very much. That's what I was looking for. I had already looked for it in the Settings palette, but without using the search feature, which I somehow never noticed before. That's a big help. Mine doesn't have the arrow to the right of the search field, so I only get one search for each search string. But typing "format" took me right to it.

• So you don't get the two blue buttons with white arrows pointing to the left and right to search for previous/next? Strange, but interesting... Let's try to find out how come. To know what they look like you may want to watch the Settings Dialog Box movie on this page: http://www.bricsys.com/en_INTL/bricscad/movies.jsp. These arrows have been there since the initial V8 release... Perhaps you resized the Settings dialog to the minimum width so they are not visible?

• No, even when I maximize the Settings palette I don't have those arrows. I have everything else on that line except the two blue buttons with arrows. And my search string field is smaller than in the video (it can take a long search string; it just doesn't display the whole string).I'm still running Windows 2000. Could that be the reason?

• Indeed, we can reproduce it, only on Windows 2000. We will try to fix it. In the mean time you can jump to next occurrences of the search phrase by pressing F3.

• Very nice! And I can also search backward with Shift-F3.

• Thank you very much, Hans!
This discussion has been closed.