print to scale from layout

I have a drawing set to print to scale 1:50 in model view,it prints to scale in model view,but it doesn't from layout view or paper view whats the setting in paper view to print to that scale

Comments

• I would set the viewport scale = 1:50 (in the "Standard scale" pull-down list in the Properties bar for the viewport), and set the plot scale at 1:1.

• It is a little bit more complicated than that. Anthony's reply is correct as far as the drawing units are mm. Since paper sizes are expressed either in mm or inches, the PLOT SCALE setting on the PRINT dialog must reflect the relation between drawing units and paper size units. Then you can define the viewport sizes on each layout in paper size units and set the scale of each viewport as mentioned by Anthony.Please read the PRINTING / TO DEFINE THE PLOT SCALE issue in the Briscad Help for more information.

• I have tried to set the plot scale to 1:1 but it still doesn't work I'm very confused,I think I need more help on this issue if anyone could try and just generate a single line in that scale to find out if it prints to scale in layout

• The first ps viewport automatically created is no particular size and the view within is just "fit".The viewport should be a known size - say your sheet size at 1:1, maybe you have to create a new one.Then the zoomed size of the view inside should be made in this case 1:50 - I get that by double clicking inside the port, then "zoom .02XP" (inverse 50). Pan around if necessary, but the scale will be correct to plot using a plot scale 1:1 and be 1:50 on the paper. Double click outside the viewport to return to tilemode (or whatever pspace view is called - I am never clear on the nomenclature).Some make the vport size the scaled sheet size, the view inside 1:1 then plot at say 1:50, but the method of getting there is the same - zoom ....XP.Perhaps one of those steps is what you are missing?

• to set the scale of a viewport in paperspace i do: "z 1/50xp "instead of "zoom .02xp" - its a little more intuitive to me...

• I used Zoom so as not to cloud the description. Aliases are great... once you are familiar with the command. I never knew 1/50xp would work, maybe I did but forgot. I have more trouble with completely unintuitive things like "xp" and "tilemode", how Autocad dreamed those up is anyone's guess.

• X means "times" and P means "paper."Zoom 3x = make it look 3 times as large as before, like with a 3x lens.Zoom 3xp = make it 3 times as large on paper as it really is, i.e. 3x on paper.In modelspace, you can have tiled viewports that divide the screen up into tiles. In paperspace, you can have floating, or non-tiled viewports. So modelspace is "tilemode" and paperspace (you could think of it as "float-mode") is not-tilemode, or tilemode=0=off.I haven't used Zoom X or Zoom XP at least since 2000, and haven't used Tilemode for a lot longer, but it's all still burned into my memory.

• Good description of x & xp I hadn't seen before, under the instructions from which I learned I just took it on blind faith a certain number would get a certain scale, then "reverse engineered" that to get other scales.As for tilemode etc, I actually did better grasping the way it all worked when I ignored the names and used visual cues such as positions on popup menus.I don't think it's just me, I see attempts have been made by Icad to clarify the mode names but there are for instance two "modelspaces" - the real and the floating - confusing for learners.It's OK when you have learned it and I have no trouble with it, but I still believe the descriptions/names are clumsy.

• QUOTE: two "modelspaces" - the real and the floating - confusingReally there's only one modelspace, but there are two ways of editing it - in tiled viewports, or in floating viewports.In tilemode, there's no paperspace, so you're always working inside a viewport. You can have a choice of which viewport to work in, or you can just use a single viewport, which is the default tiling.In floatmode=non-tilemode you can work either inside the viewport or out in paperspace.So think of tilemode as the mode that has no paperspace. That concept made slightly more sense back when there was only one layout and no tabs. There was only tilemode or floatmode, and in floatmode there was also a choice between modelspace and paperspace, chosen by the Mspace and Pspace commands. That's why Pspace doesn't work in the Model tab: you have to get out of tilemode before it has any meaning.By the way, I didn't mean to imply that it's not clumsy and unintuitive. I agree that it is. I'm just sharing mnemonic devices I used to use to tame the beast.It might have been a little less confusing to use the term "Papermode" instead of Tilemode, since the existence of paperspace is the more striking difference between the two modes. If they had, Off would now be the Model tab and On would be the Layout tabs.But maybe users would have complained about the confusion between the similar terms Papermode and Paperspace. And tiling was used a lot more back before paperspace was introduced, so "tilemode" was a familiar concept and "floatmode" was the new concept being introduced.I think it's much better to forget about ZoomX, ZoomXP, and Tilemode, and instead use the newer, more intuitive methods: wheel-zoom, viewport scale in Properties, and clicking Model or Layout tabs.

• I have no difficulty using pspace, but describing it to someone else.If I was learning I think I would find your description as blurry as any other I have seen, which again is mainly the fault of the nomenclature.There are shortcuts and favourite ways, but they are often less suitable for describing to someone learning.Those of us with more than a few years tend to learn one way then work "autistically", often but not always picking up revised ways within the program with even less regard for the new names of what we are doing. The net result is I guess we struggle for the best terminology when someone asks how you do something.

This discussion has been closed.