Properties dialogue

Hi folksI make the first serious steps with V8 and the properties dialogue causes some headache. I want to change some text entities to a different layer, so I click on the properties button and all what happens is the palette popping on and off, at the command prompt -- nothing just the empty prompt and I can't select a thing. I seem to miss something here but what ?Then another question concerning the propreties dialog : In V7 you selected say a line and in the properties dialogue box the database handle of that line was shown. Now can't find it in the properties bar, where is it ?CheersJoerg

Comments

• Hi Jörg,To change the layer of entities I usually select them first and then select the destination layer from the list on the entity properties toolbar. I find it easier because if I hit the "H" the list jumps to the first entry starting with the letter "H".Just my preference...Greg

• Double clicking on an entity will make the palette reappear and it will list whatever you hit.The palette can remain up, floating or docked, or you can close it.If it is up, you can single-pick entities and they appear listed in the palette as you pick them.You can also multiple pick entities, just as if a command had been issued which requires a selection.Clicking the Properties button just shows or hides the palette without picking, normally you probably do not need to use it.

• The list doesn't seem to jump that way in V8 though was fine in V7

• Hi folksThanks for your input so far.My problem is in V7 I could click on the properties button, the "entprop" barwould appear, I would choose "select by properties > type > text entities" and then change the layer off them all in one go. Very easy and very quick, I didn't had to pick a single object.How this is accomplished in V8 is totally beyond me at the moment.After clicking the properties button, the properties bar appears but I haven't got the option to select anything and typing "entprop" just reveals "unable to recognize command".CheersJörg

• Ah now I get it. To multi or filter select I use the Selgrips command (I placed it in one of my pull down menus), you could also use Select. I think neither is in the factory menu.Once entities are selected the previous notes apply.I also generally prefer the way V7 works in this and other ways.Selgrips does keep entities selected so you can do something else with them as you occasionally do.

• Thank you John, with Selgrips it works. But I agree with you, if you compare this procedure with how it was in V7, then V8 is not really a gain in terms of efficiency.Nice weekend to all

• Obviously things in V8 are not as clear as we thought, so I'd liked to understand how come and improve it. That being said, one improvement already added in the upcoming V9 is a new quick select tool that should make complex selections a snap. Still, in V8 if e.g. one docks the properties bar somewhere on the side, isn't it really easy to modify properties? I mean: use one of the many ways to select entities (click, shift-click, drag window, selgrips command,...) and immediately, without an extra entprop command, one can see and modify any property in the properties bar, either of the whole selection or of a single entity type contained in the selection.Any suggestions what to add/modify to make things easier/more intuitive?

• I like the v8 docked Properties bar. It took a while to get used to where everything is, longer than it took to learn the v7 Properties palette, but once I got used to it that was no problem. Getting it off to the side, and keeping it always on, are both great improvements.The long list for a dimension was a problem till I figured out how to get my mouse scroll wheel to work in the Properties bar. It would be even better if the + and - (open and closed folders) settings for dimensions would stay the way I set them, instead of defaulting to "all folders open" every time a new entity is selected. That would make it easier to get to the properties I want to change. It's usually the same ones each time.

• Dear HansI complained about the properties bar because it wasn't intuitive.OK, I had 280 text entities spread across the drawing on various layers and I wanted them to be all on the same layer.In V7 you clicked on "properties", the selection options showed up and on you went.In V8 you click on "properties", the bar shows up and ... nothing ... that's it! How do I change the properties on my text entities ?It was a very easy job to select them all with the "select" command but then I found no way to change the properties as the properties bar was always showing "no selection". Now what?Johns' remark about "selgrip" helped. My remark about efficiency came because compared to V7 there is now one step more to do. In V7 it was all more fluid.On the other side I see that the properties bar is a more versatile tool than the oldpalette and as Anthony says, it's indeed a question of getting used to it (btw, select a single item and on the old palette the db-handle was displayed, but on the bar I can't find it, where is it now?). Another disturbing thing on the bar is, it eats up real estate on the monitor. In V7 you had the palette only when you actually needed it, where as now ... I know I can switch it on and off, but it is again one more step to do, in V7 it was more ... well ... fluid !So you see, I'm not sure if the properties bar and myself will become good friends in the future.CheersJörg

• If the Entprop/Properties command was in V8, the palette could work basically as in V7.I like it undocked/disappearing too, but Esc does not close it - it is now a chore to click the X to close. I inspect entities at least as often as change them, I suspect others do too.Esc now deselects and confirms any changes made which is out of "normal practice" and still catches me out - I am not confident the change is made.On a similar line, I much prefer the right click menu options in V7 over those in V8.

• I do also like to use the properties bar or panel. For a reasonably sized drawing you can also try to hit Ctrl-A to select all entities and use the list at the top of the properties panel to work only with the text entities. Text and mtext would be filtered separately this way though.I should be quite though because I am not familiar with v7 so I do not know if I am telling you the obvious :) ...Greg

• In reply to Hans' question, yes the palette itself has more options and is quite an improvement on V7's, though not everyone likes trading that much screen for the convenience of the palette docked. I use a wide screen 22" and would still prefer floating and easier open/close, understanding it would never be quite as fast as "always showing".It would be nice (if it was possible) if the palette list could be shorter perhaps wider, at least when floating (more columns, less rows), to reduce mouse movement and maybe help readability.Again Bricsys' interest and patience is much appreciated, such a contrast from most software suppliers.

• The quick select sounds interesting... is that similar to FILTER and can it be used transparently?I do miss being able to filter selection set transparently.Regards.

• Jörg, do you know about the tool that toggles the Properties Bar on and off? You might like to use that tool, since you say you don't want the Properties Bar on screen all the time.That tool is not in the standard menus, but you can add it to your right-click menus, or add it to a pull-down menu, or even make a lisp command so you can enter it with the keyboard. Complete instructions at:http://www.bricscad.com/protected/en_INTL/support/forumthread.jsp?id=7815

• You can close the palette by cliking on the properties toolbar or the X in the top right corner, but it was still faster/easier to find the Esc key, the normal windows "discard and close" button.Finding and pressing something like OK for "confirm and close" is fine when a change is made - that's an operation whereas an inquiry should be the least obtrusive.Edit and Attedit dialogues now work that "old way" with the palette closed, but then the palette discriminates in what it opens for - a line yes, text no.I appreciate this is a programming dilemma and docked palettes, often fixed, are the fashion. Bricsys has already made efforts in making it less intrusive than many programs do. I do believe many users find them less attractive (in current implementations) after some use than on first impression.

This discussion has been closed.