Plot to PDF

Does anyone else routinely produce PDF files to transmit their drawings?Using PDF995 as a PDF creator, mine have usually been around 350k in the past, but files created in V9 are from 1.3Mb upwards, one today was over 7Mb - that was a busy one, but was 1.8Mb created in a different Intellicad.

Comments

• I use PDF files to send out for printing. Found it cheaper than plotter, supplies,etc.I am using PDF ReDirect as the print driver. This program allows you to print multiple pages to one PDF file. It's free also.I have not seen dramatic increase in PDF file size, but will pay more attention and let you know.

• Most of my clients prefer to organise their own plots - they ask for PDF.I only look at file size occasionally, but a set of 20 PDF's from the same drawings (revised) which I had easily sent previously, were rejected by my internet service. It's so rare for that to happen I'm not sure what the limit is.And larger plots take a lot longer than they used to using the same PDF995 with earlier Icad. I hadn't noticed it with V8, but didn't actually do much printing in the time I used V8.

• I also have the same problem using PDFCreator. Most of the drawings I tested with the beta v9 were resulting in a PDF file approximately 5 time larger.I have filed a support request with a sample drawing and the PDF created from v8.2.12 and v9.0.7.They were unable to reproduce the problem with the bloated PDF and have asked me to try it with the released version but I have not upgraded yet.I would find this to be a problem once we do upgrade.John if you are running the latest version perhaps you can send in a sample for them at least to verify the problem still exists in the released version of v9.

• We use Tiff Image Driver from Informatik. It makes pdf's, jpeg's and highly compacted tiffs. I have not noticed any change in size of tiffs or pdfs when switching from v8 to v9.

• Hmmm... looks like this is still an issue for me. I installed the 9.1.2 demo and created a drawing with a rectangle filled with Grass1 hatch pattern in model space. In paper space I created a couple of polyline as a simple border, stuck in a clipped viewport and printed. The colour of the hatch pattern was set to print black with 50% screening. Note, I have not spent any time trying to determine if the size difference is dependent on the hatch pattern, colour, clipped viewport or screening.v8 gives a PDF that is ~ 9kb while v9.1.2 gives a PDF ~ 85kb.These PDF files were created by printing via the PDFCreator printer driver.I have updated the support request I filed on the beta.

• Just to let you know that we're currently looking into this issue.

• The increase of the size of the print/plot output was introduced while applying an improvement to the quality of text output. The increase is not limited to PDF output but applies to the print data size in general, i.e. it also occurs when printing to a regular printer. The abovementioned modification not only affects the size of the print data for texts, it also affects the size for other entity types, sometimes resulting in a prohibitive data size increase.Please note that this size increase strongly depends on the content type of the drawing: e.g. for drawings containing solid hatches V9 typically will generate (much) more compact print data than V8, for drawings containing mainly lines and polylines, the V9 print data will be much larger.We are working on a fix, scheduled to become available the coming days.

• Thanks for the update...

• I too have noticed huge file sizes for pdfs. This is a real problem - 9Mb for a simple three plan layout with not much text but a fair amount of curvy blocks (insulation), hate to think what would happen if we put a specification on the drawing!However I have another problem which I need help with. When I plot to pdf the line weights increase such that the detail is lost! I have tried various things but nothing affects the thick black lines. I have tried different pdf printer programs but they all suffer from the same problem. Again this makes pdf printing unusable and frankly the programme useless to me. Help!

• I use PDFCreator. When the images inserted are too big, the resulted file is in pdf is very big.Better is to cut an image in two, and then assembles them in the drawing file to plot.Now, all is ok. Rarely, my files in pdf are more tha 1,5MgHope this helpRSTAS

• The problem with thicker lines and increased print data size is specific to V9, unrelated to any print driver used. As a workaround, printing can be done using V8. (V8 and V9 are installed in separate folders and run entirely independent from each other).We plan to release a V9 update build begin of next week.

• Thank you for info regarding the work around in V8. I have downloaded the V9 trial and generally am impressed, not least with the response to queries. I do not have V8, when I buy V9 will I also get V8 or will I have to buy that too?

• You would not have to buy V8 too if you have installed a valid V9 license: older Bricscad versions typically accept license keys for more recent versions as valid (not evaluation keys).A small problem will be to timely download V8: the Bricscad version that can be downloaded from our website is V9, no longer V8. On explicit demand, customers will be provided with an ftp address where we upload the V8 build of their choice... but I am answering this post from home: the office is already closed for the weekend. So, by the time your request gets processed next week, chances are that an updated V9 will be available.Have a nice weekend!

This discussion has been closed.