3d Modeling

I wanted to touch base with those in the mechanical realm to find out if they're using a 3d modeler in conjunction with Bricscad. Solidworks, Solidedge and etc. are prettymuch cost prohibitive for a small company but some of the cheaper alternatives may beviable if their dwg translators work without a hitch. Alibre seems to be the front-runnerbut I wanted to find out if there were others out there worth checking out. Thanks.

Comments

• Hi Tim,Good news for you. Bricsys has signed an OEM with Spaceclaim and we are working on a first integration between Bricscad and Spaceclaim. We make the bundle available soon. We are waiting for a couple of fixes at Spaceclaims side to be able to deliver a first release - I hope - within weeks. I can involve you in the test phase and of course we are very interested in your support.Pricing will be in the range of US$1950 (1950€ in the Euro zone) for Bricscad and Spaceclaim Pro. I think a fair deal for the quality of the combined products.This fits in our strategy to offer more and more professional solutions to the engineering market. And there is a lot more top come.Btw would there be more Bricscad users already interested?Thankserik

• I still use 2d as does most of my industry (HVAC) here in Australia.Occasionally the suggestion is made that we ought to be moving on and I have had a few brief tries at 3d with little in fact no success. Maybe I am thick.The first impediment is usually the data does not go very well back & forth with .dwg when they say theirs does - .dwg is the pseudo-standard file interchange for much of our building industry at least.While not very optimistic that I would become a user, I would be interested in trying a 3d program actually meant to go hand in hand with Icad.

• In the pressure vessel industry dwg is the standard also, but working with cylindricalobjects sometimes it's hard to visualize things in 3D space and transfer that to 2D.Imagine a tank with a multitude of pipe connections, ladders, platforms, structuralsteel components and you can have a interference check nightmare. We don't get alot of those but a 3D program would come in handy when needed.Erik, being part of testing for this collaboration sounds interesting but need to knowwhat is involved. I'm not a programmer by any stretch, but have experience tryingout Alibre, Solidedge, Inventor, and Rhino. Currently working with Bricscad 7 sowould I have to purchase the latest to qualify for testing? Thanks for replying.

• SpaceClaim and Bricscad can be very interesting combination, but I can not download SpaceClaim and try this program. Several times I fill forms on their site and always I only received e-mail with message "we going to contact you..." and nothing. Nobody contact me.At this moment my company use Bricscad (9 Pro) in combination with Rhinoceros (4) and we have many problems which we can not solve.For example, 3D solids made in Rhino we can import to Bricscad, but we can not continue work on this solids (we can not measure solids volume, make section or Boolean operations, make 2D projections,...). Also Bricscad can not on proper way display 3D solids imported from other programs. This solids always has wireframe.There is also a lot other problems. For example, most important objects for me (and for complex 3D modeling) is splines. But, if you try make region (base for 3D) where at least one edge trimmed spline, Bricscad (8, 9) always crashed.Except combination with Rhino, we try make combination with SolidWorks (Bricscad is much better than DWG Editor (i.e. Cadopia)), Solid Edge and NX, and results are always the same.Conclusion: I (you) can not use Bricscad for 3D modeling. SpaceClaim I (you) can not download and try. 1950 $ (€) is to much for this combination.

This discussion has been closed.