Selection points

In Autocad you can extend two lines by holding the shift key pressed and selecting the end points of the respective lines. I find this pretty handy and miss it dearly in Bricscad.Is there any chance we will see this option implemented in one of the next realeases?

Comments

• What do you guys think of this?

• I have always used Chamfer for that, or fillet with 0 radius to join arcs or arcs/lines. I guess I don't miss what I never had, but I do miss the more extensive list of right-click options when entities were selected which used to be there (I think chamfer used to be on it).

• John, if you need more tools in the right click context menu, use CUSTOMIZE to add the missing options. It is the EDIT context menu you need to modify.

• I think the original question was about selecting the grip points of multiple objects. This is one of the sticking points for me about switching to BricsCAD. With every release it gets better, but the grips is something I use regularly in AutoCAD and BricsCAD is very weak in this feature.

• Thank you Louis, I used to re-enter or cut/paste my customisations within the menu body each time a revision came with possibly a change in factory menu, but when Bricscad changed to the Acad .mns or .cui system I reverted to using a .mnu file which I had to create virtually from scratch (the first time). At least I am portable now and hope not to get caught like that again.I now make changes there and append that to the factory menu and resist laboriously changing the Icad menu internals. I believe some Acad users still do this....unless there is a way of making a ***buttons section in the .mnu file override the section within the main menu?

• John, if you make your custom CUI file the "main" CUI file, and make Default.cui the "partial" CUI file, then you'll never have to make any change when you install a new version of Bricscad. The new factory menu will automatically take the place of the old. You'll get your custom pull-down menus on the left, and all the latest factory menus to the right of that. And your custom context menus will override the default ones.

• That idea sounds like it has possibilities, I have to think about whether or how that applies as I have 8 pull down menus of my own after the factory menu, which I leave untouched.The only mod I would make to that is to the context menus.But after abandoning the .mnu way when I took up Icad98 only to arrive at a blind ally migrating my customisations to V8 (from memory), I won't abandon it so readily again.Thanks for the hint I will work on it.

• Please notice it is possible to load a default or partial cui using a mns, mnu or icm file, which will then be converted to a cui file.

• There are currently 14 .cui's on my system and I'm not sure which is the one in use - all I can do is "revert to defaults" to be sure I have the base factory menu.When a change is made to the cui there doesn't seem to be any control over saving changes or reverting to the previous state, between original and last change.ICM might have been transportable, but cui was not backwardly compatible which was frustrating when in transition between versions. Who knows what the next shift will be, how compatible and where I would find my latest .cui to transport?The one constant has been MNU, there is a reason (or reasons) why in many cases Acad users retain that as the place they make customisations.

• I found it very hard to learn to use the Customize window, primarily because the load and save protocol is unlike any other program I've ever seen. I think this is how it works:1. The "Apply" button serves the function that's called "Save" in all other programs I know of (but the "Save As" command, which is the same as in other programs, is not called "Apply As").2. If there are any unsaved changes when you exit, there's an automatic Save, but without a choice or even a notification.3. If you switch to a different CUI file during a session, any unsaved changes are automatically discarded, with no choice or notification.4. The file shown in the pull-down box called "Main customization file" is the CUI file currently being edited, regardless of whether you intend to use it as a main or as a partial. It's also the name of the CUI file currently being used by Bricscad as its main menu file.5. Using the pull-down box to select a file is the same as using the "Load main" command.6. When you use the "Load main," "Save as," or "Apply" command, or do an automatic save by exiting, that also changes or updates Bricscad's menu.

• Louis, going back to my original question, better decribed by Ammon, do you have an answer or sugestion?

• For the time being you must use the extend command (edgemode extend) to extend two non-parallel lines to their intersection point. I added the extend command to the edit context menu to quickly launch the extend command.

• Thanks for the answer. Is there any chance that we may see this added on the implementation list someday?

• I have added a SR and sent it to the development team. They will decide whether it will be added or not, depending on the priority it gets and the time needed to implement it.

This discussion has been closed.