printing to JPG or PNG files

Hi,Will this feature be implemented soon ?ThanksPhilippe

Comments

• PDF is the preferred exchange medium in my area and while Icad can export to PDF, inexpensive proprietary programs do a better job with the advantage that I can print to PDF from any other program.Adobe has also shown interest in CAD by providing facility to manipulate PDF's from 3D CAD drawings, for those who use them.There are similar programs to print to JPG and other formats.It must take a lot of effort to perfect software, then improve on its basic functionality to remain "modern" in its chosen field. We could also ask what about other file interchange formats such as DGN and importing/converting PDF or JPG to DWG, but Autocad itself is famous for not providing much in the way of interchange facility and I'm not sure we want that sort of distraction from the job of making the basic software better still.

• John, can you recommend a specific program that prints to JPG? The only one I've found is SourceForge's PDFCreator, which is free and works fine except for the obnoxious habit of turning the drawing on its side. I can't find any way to persuade it not to do that.

• I've used PDFcreator to create jpegs from Bricscad in the past and it has never altered orientation for me.Just checked the forums and it seems some do have problems with it though, but no real solutions.There's a new version out too.

• Sorry I have not used any, just did a google search to see that there are some.From messing with Irfanview and formats, there doesn't seem much advantage in JPG to me. Couldn't see much difference in file size and they don't seem as easy to print to different sheet sizes etc.People seem less familiar with JPG, even though most of their pictures are in that format. Most picture printing software expects you to be doing small photos on A4 sheets.

• I know most people prefer getting PDF's, but I like JPG's or GIF's or PNG's for my own use. I like viewing a whole folder full of them as thumbnails, and if I click on any one of them it opens instantly in ACDsee and I can flip through the whole folder as quickly as I can spin the mouse wheel. ACDsee is great at printing, too, and it does some minor editing. And GIMP can do any kind of editing to them, but I can't get it to open PDF's.

• Hi Anthony,I find ImageMagick works great for batch or individual conversions. PDF to JPG or GIF works well.Not a direct solution though if that is what was wanted.

• The Zan Image Printer is ia virtual printer driver and allows you to convert printable documents from any application into a standard BMP, GIF, JPEG, JPEG 2000, PDF, TIFF, or PNG image.

• Anthony, you got me there - I don't know a way of easily viewing a bunch of PDF's as thumbnails. It would be handy.

• hi there; I found this PDF and image printer and works great

http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php

• I dont know what you mean but my explorer thumbnails PDFs fine. Just make it show miniatures.

Cheers

Patrik

• Mine doesn't

easy for you to say cheers  :(

• Try CUTE PDF WRITER from ACRO Software Inc. This is a FREE virtual printer, which can write to many different file-formats. You install the (relativ small program) as a new printer. I 've been using it since about 2 years and it has never let me down.

This discussion has been closed.