uploading any simple lisp

helloNewbie heremany people download Lisp from the net but why is that in Autocad all you need to dois place them in a directory & use it instantly & inBricscad you need to go to notepad,paste a code & do 3-4 more steps before you can exerta Lisp if at all.tx

Comments

• I have come across the odd lisp in the past which did not work for me, though not lately. I usually did not try very hard to investigate the problems, but what does cutting and pasting achieve and what are the 3 or 4 more steps?

• I'm a little uncertain what extra steps you have to do with Bricscad vs. Autocad. If you have a file with LISP routines you want to load, store it in a directory in your support path as set in the settings dialog. The routine can then be loaded with (load "filename") on the command line, where filename should be the actual name of the file ;-)You can use the APPLOAD command for a dialog to browse to a file if you prefer. This dialog can be set to remember what files you load so they are already available in the list to choose (not automatically loaded though).You can drag and drop a lisp file onto Bricscad and it will load which is great for a one off thing or while writing the routine.You can have LISP routines loaded automatically if you make use of files on_start.lsp and on_doc_load.lsp.See knowlegebase article for more help on the start up files if needed.It depends on what works best for you but there are many ways to make it easy for us to work with LISP programs in Bricscad. Hope that helps you.

• Greg txi couldn't find a place under settings where it shows the route path for lisps, is it under program options?also the appload command doesn't seem to run the lisp file.all i need is to use a lisp file the easiest way.

• Gila,The Lisp files are found if they are in any directory contained in the Support File Search Path. Type support in the entry box by the binoculars

• Hmmm... hit the wrong key before I was done...change the support path in the settings dialog or the SRCHPATH variable. The settings dialog is the easiest way to set the support path.You are correct, APPLOAD will only load the file and not run it. Once loaded you can run the commands from the file by typing the name on the command line.For Lisp files I always want loaded I add them to the on_doc_load.lsp file in my support directory.You may want to add a button to a toolbar to run the lisp function if you prefer toolbars to commands. Are you familiar with adding toolbar command buttons?If the Lisp you have will not run once loaded post it or a link to it and someone here may be able to help you get it running.

• APPLOAD actually does "run" the lisp file. Most lisp files only contain definitions of new lisp functions, enclosed in (defun) functions. So they don't appear to run anything when you load them. But those defun functions are actually being run when they load, and creating new functions which then become available to the user.If you create a file called "test.lsp" with only this line:(command "line" "0,0" pause)and then appload it, it will immediately start to draw a line from 0,0 and wait for you to click the endpoint.Also, you can put a lisp file in any folder, even if it's not part of Bricscad's Support File Search Path. Just tell APPLOAD where it is, or, if you want it to load automatically, just put the full path in the On_Start.lsp file, like this:(load "C:/Lisps/test.lsp")

• I find things like lisps and fonts are buried so deep in B'cad, I copy them all into the folder I start the program in (C:\dwgs in my case) so they are easier to find when I have to direct the program to them.But I am still lost as to why a lisp should be so much simpler to run in Autocad and what those extra steps do?

• John, if you mean the long path to the user support files, likeC:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Bricsys\Bricscad\v9\en_US\supportthat's not part of Bricscad. It's a Windows thing that all programs are supposed to use. Part of the length is because it allows multiple users to share a machine and not know about the other users' stuff. But as you say, you can circumvent it and set up your own support folder. I don't set up different folders, because I don't want to have to worry about what happens when I install new versions, but I do create shortcuts to take me directly to any user support folder I'm going to want to get at, and I leave them in places where I can find them easily, like in MyDocuments and the Start menu (MyDocuments because a lot of pop-up windows go there first).I think the idea of extra steps and simpler in Autocad was just a misunderstanding. The last time I looked, Autocad loaded lisp files the same way. And it's hard to think of any way it could be simpler without a USB mind-reading device.

• I guess the only easier thing I can think of is the ability to add files to the "Startup Suite" from the appload dialog.Personally, I prefer to not put my customization files in the application tree. I do aCAD |--Bricscad | |--v7 | |--v8 | |--v9 |--Fonts |--PlotConfig |--PrintStyles |--Profiles |--Support |--TemplatesOne tree to backup or update. There are two of us using Bricscad and we can work on either machine in our own user profile and still have the same CAD setup. Depends on your personal goals. Setting the order of the directories in the support path makes it easy to control which files are found.Since I read Anthony's post about importing the default.cui as a partial in my personal CUI file and using it as the main I am very happy with the setup. I have not taken the time to find a way to preserve my aliases through application updates and still use the application default.pgp but I only use a few different ones anyway.Just my $0.02 :-)

This discussion has been closed.