XREF forgetting layer choices

I've recently updated to the latest version of BricsCAD and noticed a couple of niggles with it's XREF behaviour. In one drawing I'd changed the 'saved path' of the XREF as we'd saved a newer version of the file being XREFed with a new filename. However, BricsCAD kept forgetting this. I'm just wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong?Also, the setting regarding layer behaviour seems to have changed between versions - I'd always had this set so that any changes to the layer states made in the parent drawing would be saved, however without us changing this setting BricsCAD started to give precedence to the layer settings saved in the XREF files. Not really a problem given I was aware that there is a setting that controls this, but a bit unexpected!

Comments

• Regarding layers, try to change the system variable VISRETAIN.You will find it in settings if you search for "visibility".From Help:Sets or returns the visibility of layers in external references. The value of this property is stored in the VISRETAIN system variable. The initial value of this property is True. XRefLayerVisibilty specifies whether changes to layers and paths of an external reference are saved with the document.

• Assuming one of those suggestions fixes the problem and Chris had not changed anything, I wonder why the default/s should have changed?Layer manipulation in pspace ports has always been an elusive target for me, but maybe that's just me and I don't use pspace much anyway.I am also concerned about xref pathing since I use xrefs extensively.

• Sorry for the slow reply, I forgot to subscribe to the topic.

The Visretain option (or, rather, it's equivalent in the settings) sorted me out, but not after some puzzlement over what was going wrong. I'm not sure why the setting was changed, but it's behaved itself since :) Incidentally, one thing I've always found a bit overwhelming about BricsCAD is the way all the settings both for the software and the present drawing are listed in one giant tree. I like the logic behind grouping all settings together (OpenOffice has a similar approach, and in that instance I find controlling the settings a far less stressful experience than in MS Office), however I think there is a bit too much listed and could be better structured.

John - I use XREFs and paperspace layer control quite a bit and find them useful, but my colleagues don't seem to like the idea of working the same way (I don't think I've done a good job of explaining it's benefits!). Likewise UCS, true colour, layout tabs, block attributes etc. etc. :)

• Hello Chris,

sure, there are an overwhelming lot of settings, and there is no  logic or consistency in which setting is stored where. But, it's not up to Bricsys to e.g. decide which settings are stored in a dwg and which are not...  ;-) 

Have you given a try to the icons at the top of the Settings dialog? They allow to e.g. bring up all settings that concern the drawing, or all those that concern the program.

It would not be difficult to add the possibility to show the settings grouped by the location where they are stored (in registry, in the drawing, not stored, ...) but we are in doubt about the added value because of the lack of consistency, e.g. some drawing settings are stored in the drawing, some in registry. Any suggestions for improvement are welcome and will be considered.

Best regards

• I think separating out the "tree" from the "content" would help clarify the settings, a bit like the Windows registry. List the tree of groups of settings on the left hand side and the content of those groups in a pane on the right. As I said, though, I do like having everything available in one dialogue and the search facility is excellent.

• Hello,

We do extensive use of xrefs, we have found problems with the program maintaining layer choices and draworder when binding and refediting

An often unknown feature of xreferencing is the fact that it is possible to make reference address relative to the drawing directory structure, by doing so when moving a project from one drive or directory to another the references remain intact

• In Support Request 20196 I have posted in the attached .zip a document file with a detail explanation of the issue of how the layers and DrawOrder does not behave as expected

Best Regards,

José

This discussion has been closed.