Bricscad (Linux) Beta 10.4.6

Hello All,

Bricscad (Linux) beta 10.4.6 is now available.

Bricscad for Linux is in beta stage. It is possible to file support requests. Bear in mind that we cannot guarantee a quick response in this early stage.

Please check our website for updates and inspect the Release notes.  During the beta stage of Bricscad for Linux, the Release notes will contain an updated list of known issues.

fixes:

- Printing: Reduced the size of the generated postscript code when printing images or gradients.
- SR24215: Files with uppercase extension (e.g. '.DWG') were not found and shown in open file dialog on linux. Fixed.
- The Plot Style Editor and User Profile Manager are now available on Linux.  They have been ported from MFC to wxWidgets.  The Windows version now also relies on wxWidgets.
- SR24271: Linux, toolbar customization: Fixed loading an external Bitmap file.
- Installer: added launcher to Graphics menu.
- SR24337, Lisp, (read-line): Windows-style line-ending characters were not properly recognised on Linux.  This is fixed.  Both line-ending types are now supported on both platforms.
- SR24248: Left clicking on an entity that was already gripped, left a cursor artifact behind (multiple cursors visible). This is fixed.
- SR24251, SR24389: User Interace Customization: Fixed the loading of partial cui files.  Partial cui files were loaded before, but were inserted at a wrong level.
- SR24400: Displaying the attributes editor dialog, eg by calling EATTEDIT, caused Bricscad (linux) to crash. Fixed.
- Lisp engine: Avoid memory overrun issues with pathnames.
- SR23781: Avoid displaying two cursors on the screen when scrolling using thumb.
- Printing: Improved storage of most recently used printer settings.
- SR24247, Refresh problem when drawing with opengl: In some cases traces of the entire drawing were left on the screen, eg when panning/zooming after selecting a hatch boundary. Fixed.
- Fixed a crash that happened if there was a startup lisp file in the support path on Linux.
- SR24110: A selected template file was not used for command "new". Fixed.
- SR24302, Space Bar Crash: This crash was caused by accessing the command prompt menu after its destruction.  Fixed by delaying destruction of the command prompt menu.

known issues:

- A new pc3 file cannot be generated yet.  As a result, the target Printer/Plotter Configuration "None (uses default)" cannot be used.
- When starting Bricscad from terminal, this error message may appear: "Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed".
- Fonts are not yet added to the installation.
- Toolbars cannot always be properly moved or docked. The application may crash when a toolbar is undocked/docked.  A toolbar may become hidden behind the main application screen.
- The background color of icons is wrong in the layer dropdown and in the drawing explorer: the icon background is grey or black instead of transparent.
- Icons of flyout toolbars are not entirely visible.
- In the settings dialog, previews are not visible and the layout of the description is incorrect until the settings dialog is resized.
- When changing the background color of the main graphics window, the background is not refreshed immediately and the foreground color may not be adjusted to differ from the background color.
- Scrollbars cannot be displayed in the main graphics window yet.  When enabling scrollbars, the application can crash.
- In some cases the numpad enter key is not processed correctly.  In that case, the character "Ų" may appear.  This happens for instance, but not exclusively, during the TEXT command.
- The COPYCLIP window and the Bricscad Prompt History window appear as a separate application in the application bar.

To receive notification for subsequent versions, you can subscribe to the Bricscad for Linux RSS feed.
It is also possible to access the Bricscad for Linux RSS feed as html page.

Greetings
Tijs

Comments

• First post :-)

Just downloaded Beta 10.4.6 and I'm becoming very impressed with the stability of Bricscad. I can't wait for the final version to be released, and I hope to put it into good use almost immediately. Getting rid of Microsoft actually seems like a possibility now.

• Good afternoon, all.

I have been working with the releases since the 1st Alpha.  I'm really liking what I'm seeing, and it's feeling very close to production ready, at least for my own processes.

From the release notes, it sounds like output generation should be working, but I can't seem to get a good print.

Could someone help me find what I'm missing.

I use color based plot styles.  Even though I've checked to display plot styles in my page setup, I'm still seeing color.  Also, when I print to a laser printer, I'm getting greyscaled color, and not getting my color based lineweights in black.  When I print to a color capable printer or to PDF I'm getting color as well.

I am also having difficulty getting a US ArchD format plot.  My only large format output options are the system CUPS-PDF printer or trying to export to PDF, so I don't know what would happen if I had a large format plotter connected.

Could someone relate their own plotting experience, specifically with color based plot styles and large format?

Also, is there an approach to PDF generation I'm not seeing?

Many thianks.

brad

• I just tested the new beta, but now 3d solids are not displayed anymore.... it seems to me like a regression to a previous alpha version

where the behaviour was identical.

On 10.4.4.1 all worked perfectly.

Ciao

Max

• hi, the snap markers didn't work at all, but the snap work fortunately

• hi all

I have  to say cyrillic utf ttf font still did not displayed correctly (you have to add this as known issue at least it was many times reported)

if you try to view at pixel image that was attached with windows for example you got a crash with 

[driAllocateTexture:635] unable to allocate textureОшибка сегментирования
    Ошибка сегментирования= Segmentation Error
    and finally i try to load bricscad with en_EN locale (to past code in english) and have a fault. Bricscad even did not started
    ~/bin/BricsCAD> LANG=en_EN.utf8 ./bricscad.sh(process:6617): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library(process:6617): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.        Using the fallback 'C' locale.Ошибка сегментирования
    that is all for now
  • Hi All,

The preselection disappears the entity of the dashed line option is ON

After selection the entity disappear, only the grip is visible. When I start moving it appears again.

On white background (modellspace) I see nothing while I draw a rectangle. After the second click it appears. The selection window also invisible.

mr

• confirm tamas mrazik words

found the problem color of selection is same as background.

if you look at "layout" draw line on gray backgound you'll see the selection colored in black.

I change background color in model space to 8 (gray)  and in paper space in white, and was impressed that selection color is changed to background color in both model and paper space.

- The Plot Style Editor and User Profile Manager are now available on Linux.  They have been ported from MFC to wxWidgets.  The Windows version now also relies on wxWidgets.

tools>User Profile Manager

I have an error like this

: (startapp (findfile "UserProfileManager.exe"))nil

• File --> Print --> Window (to select an area to print), Bricscad print objects that are outside of the area.

• elmer,

The issue you have is, I think, that the displayed area is incorrect. It is on my machine. I go to settings...program options... display and turn off the display paper background and display printable are boxes. Then I verify that the layout print scale is 1:1 an put up a rectangle that matches the sheet size (say 8-1/2" X 11", for example). I find that will print correctly, objects within it will print correctly and paperspace views within that area will also print correctly to the scale they are specified. I think the problem is just a bug... the black print area window size is just displayed incorrectly.

In my own view it is better to not even have that window displayed, whether correctly or not. Better to just put up several non-printing rectangles and print the one you want. No need to limit a layout to a single printable page; you can instead have many on one layout.

• my experience with BricscadClassic-V10.4.6-1-en_US.tgz at a gentoo system:

1. libjpeg.so.62 not found  -> so I installed libjpeg.so.62 ( because I had only libjpeg.so.8 )

2. libXinerama.so.1 not found -> si I installed libXinerama.so.1

3. the app started, but crashed immediately with this gnome bug-buddy error message:

System: Linux 2.6.32-gentoo-r7 #5 SMP PREEMPT Sat May 29 19:49:25 CEST 2010 i686
    X Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
    X Vendor Release: 10706000
    Selinux: No
    Accessibility: Disabled
    GTK+ Theme: Clearlooks
    Icon Theme: gnome
    GTK+ Modules: canberra-gtk-module, gnomebreakpad

Memory status: size: 142094336 vsize: 142094336 resident: 88838144 share: 40689664 rss: 88838144 rss_rlim: 18446744073709551615
    CPU usage: start_time: 1275642144 rtime: 83 utime: 69 stime: 14 cutime:0 cstime: 0 timeout: 0 it_real_value: 0 frequency: 100

Backtrace was generated from '/opt/BricscadClassic-V10.4.6-1-en_US/bricscad'

[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
    [New Thread 0xb1aa8720 (LWP 32392)]
    0xb772a424 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
    #0  0xb772a424 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
    #1  0xb34b1c03 in waitpid () from /lib/libc.so.6
    #2  0xb2b12c83 in g_spawn_sync () from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0

Thread 1 (Thread 0xb1aa8720 (LWP 32392)):
    No symbol table info available.
    #1  0xb34b1c03 in waitpid () from /lib/libc.so.6
    #2  0xb2b12c83 in g_spawn_sync () from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0

• Thanks Schuller

Usually I print from Paper Space, but this time I had to print only a detail of a drawing from Model Space, so I click Window from the Print menu, select an area with the objects I need to print, check scale and click print. Bricscad print all I want at the correct scale, but print some objets that are outside of the area and I wan't to print. Can't exclude objects near but outside of the print area.

• Installed 10.4.6 with the .deb installer. First time this ever worked for me. And there is a launcher in Applications / Graphics. Yay!

I don't often use 3D solids so it took awhile for me to notice, but I found the same thing as Massimo Del Fedele - 3D solids don't display. If you go through the command sequence, sometimes there seems to be something created, since you can select it with Ctrl-A and delete it, but you never see anything. Some of the 3D solids commands apparently don't create any entity. As Massimo said, this worked in earlier versions. Oh, and I just noticed that meshes do work.

• I have a question that probably applies to all versions of BricsCAD and Intellicad and maybe AutoCAD. How is the center for real-time spherical rotation determined? Can the location be determined and/or modified with Lisp? Thanks.

• Señores,

Existe un problema de usabilidad. Al momento de abrir un archivo se abre una ventana con una pestaña arriba, el problema es que no hay una manera facil de cerrarla. La única opción es ir a Archivo y cerrar. sería mucho más amigable si se habilita una "X" dentro de la pestaña.

Por otro lado, saldra la versión en español?

Gracias.

• Hello,

I have been trying to install Brics for Linux in ubunto    ubuntu-10.04-desktop-amd64.iso   without luck, my process:

1. Download and install latest Ubuntu (virgin installation in my lap HP dv6 with AMD processor and ATI graphics card)
    2. On line upgrade of Ubuntu and graphics card drivers
    3. Double click on the    BricscadClassic-V10.4.6-1-en_US.deb file which fires up the installation process
    4. Everything is reported correctly through the installation process, no warning messages of any sort
    5. Run Bricscad, the program seems to start by opening a tab in the bottom of the screen stating that it is opening Bricscad, after a few seconds the tab dissapears and the program never opens
    6. Tried uninstalling, reinstalling, reformating and repeating the process from loading the OS but nothing seems to work
    7. Janitor reports Bricscad so I assume there is something improperly registered

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong, several years ago I had a better than basic knowledge of Linux, I put it away for several years waiting for Bricscad to implement the Linux version of the program so I am a bit rusty but I do beleive I followed the correct procedures

Regards,

José

• Hi!

I also had no luck running Bricscad on several Ubuntu 64 bit partitions, always
    comes up with can't find the executable even after running the Bricscad.sh and
    being in the same directory as Bricscad. It seems that the program path was
    not being registered in the environment (shell window). It did however, work
    in the 32-bit Crunch Bang version of Ubuntu.

Risto

• Hi All,

First of all I'm very glad to use a real productive native, dwg compatible CAD software on Linux. Thank you!

I've got the following messages when try to open an autocad 2010 saved dwg.

(bricscad:3773): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

(bricscad:3773): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed
    Segmentation fault

mr

• A little update on the menu lisp issue (see #29 on the 10.4.4 topic):

Menu lisp works initially when the program starts, but when I open drawings, the lisp routines are not there, although the command window tells the files have again being loaded:

jyg_util.lsp (shared functions for joyogu)  v.10.1 loaded.Joyogu menu LISP routines loaded.: (jyg_scale "j2d_init")("MM" 1.0): ._OPENDrawing name: /dos/project/idp/peo/P00g.dwgjyg_util.lsp (shared functions for joyogu)  v.10.1 loaded.Joyogu menu LISP routines loaded.: (jyg_scale "j2d_init"); ----- Error around expression -----(JYG_SCALE "j2d_init");; error : no function definition <JYG_SCALE> at [EVAL]

This happens when LISPINIT is set to on,  when you set it to off, everything functions - so it seems the lisp engine gets reinitialized after the menu lisp has loaded. Not quite what you'd expect...

• @Knut Hohenberg

Hello Knut,

I filled a support request on this issue.
    I received an answer that it is fixed now and would by included in the next Bricscad version.

• Hola Mauricio

Es cierto, la única forma (por ahora) de cerrar las pestañas es desde Archivo --> Cerrar. Las pestañas es algo experimental, y tu sugerencia de cerrar con una X ya la han solicitado unas cuantas personas del foro, posiblemente se mejore en una futura version.

Bricscad en español, no se para cuando, espero que salga pronto. Hay otro programa llamado Ares Commander que ya tiene una version beta en español.

Saludos, Maxi

• I tried to install Bricscad on a PC with a Quadro NVS video card. Everything went pretty well, then I tried to uninstall the mesa-dri-driver-experimental and time Bricscad not open. On the terminal i have this message:

[PC-02Linux tizianam @ ~] $ Bricscad
    / Opt/bricsys/bricscad/v10/bricscad: error while loading shared libraries: / opt/bricsys/bricscad/v10/libbcadtestrunner.so: can not restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied
    [PC-02Linux tizianam @ ~] $ ls-l / opt/bricsys/bricscad/v10/bricscad
    -Rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 250923 May 28 19:10 / opt/bricsys/bricscad/v10/bricscad
    [PC-02Linux tizianam @ ~] $

• My notebook dell d600 with 1 gb ram, 32 mb video ram freeze in ubutu 9.10 and 10.04,  .... ok is in mandriva

• OOps! Not working on Fedora 13 (64bit).  Required a lot of i686 code (dependencies) and installing those all I could get was the splash screen and the following error message:

(bricscad:2637): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Now that was with ./bricscad.sh.  I get a different behaviour when I use ./blender.  With the later, I get no splash screen, instead the following message shows up:

./bricscad: error while loading shared libraries: libutils.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Yum can't locate the missing library (not the repositories).  Any ideas?

• For days when I go to close the file "unnamed1" Bricscad crashes. I open Bricscad, then open a file and if I close my unnamed1 i have the crash.
  • I still can't print on my plotter.

Mostly hp plotter are unsupported, and have a problem with the open driver (linuxprinting.org).

If you can ask to HP to provide a linux drivers....

Thk.

David

• I still can't print on my plotter.

Mostly hp plotter are unsupported, and have a problem with the open driver (linuxprinting.org).

If you can ask to HP to provide a linux drivers....

Thk.

David

• I'm not sure just where to post this, but I am stil using Beta 10.4.6 and this thread is where I asked the question about the center of rotation for real time sphere. After a lot of trial and error, I now know where the center of rotation is - it's the view center. But it's read-only. To set the center where you want it, you have to move the model, since the view center is not user-adjustable in any useful way I know of. For anyone interested, here is a little lisp that does the trick.

; RRC.LSP  : Reset Rotation Center - to set center of 3D orbital rotation (rtrot)
    ;            by moving the model to the view center.
    ; 6-28-10  Bricscad version.

(defun c:rrc (/ *ERROR* osval vs cp vctr)

(defun *error* (msg)
      (setvar "osmode" osval)
      (setvar "cmdecho" 1)
      (princ)
     )

(setvar "cmdecho" 0)
    (setq osval (getvar "osmode"))
    (setvar "osmode" 512)
    (setq vs (getvar "viewsize"))
    (setq cp (getpoint "\nPick point on entity for COR"))
    (setvar "osmode" 0)
    (command ".zoom" "c" cp vs)
    (setq vctr (getvar "viewctr"))
    (command ".move" "all" "" cp vctr)
    (setvar "osmode" osval)
    (setvar "cmdecho" 1)
    (princ)
    )

• Something I noticed while investigating the rotation center issue was that VIEWMODE is set to 16 by default in Bricscad. According to Autocad documentation, the default for VIEWMODE is zero. In Autocad and Intellicad, VIEWMODE is 16 only when in perspective mode. This probably doesn't affect many users. It only causes me trouble when I try to use a Bricscad generated model in Intellicad, where the real-time sphere is not useable at all if VIEWMODE is anything but zero. A small thing, but it is a difference from Autocad.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!