Bricscad (Linux) Beta 10.4.9

Hello All,

Bricscad (Linux) beta 10.4.9 is now available.

Bricscad for Linux is in beta stage. It is possible to file support requests. Bear in mind that we cannot guarantee a quick response in this early stage.

Please check our website for updates and inspect the Release notes.  During the beta stage of Bricscad for Linux, the Release notes will contain an updated list of known issues.

fixes:
- Shx fonts, plot styles and templates have been added to the installers.
- Fixed the display of flyout toolbars.  Before this fix, the icons in flyout toolbars were not entirely visible.
- SR24584: Lisp issue: Fixed an encoding problem with (read-line), (read-char), (write-line), (write-char).  UTF-8 encoded ANSI files were not correctly read in the character range 0x80-0xFF.  This character range should depend on the system code page.  The problem occured when the system codepage differed from Bricscad's codepage; that is when the system and Bricscad use different languages.
- SR24316: In some cases the numpad enter key was not processed correctly.  In that case, the character "Ų" may appear.  This happens for instance, but not exclusively, during the TEXT command.  It turned out this issue occured if the main graphics screen was focused. Fixed.
- Fixed: QUIT command: Bricscad (Linux) hanged after clicking the "Cancel" button in the "Save changes" dialog box.
- Various fixes to toolbars:
    - On startup of Bricscad (Linux), floating toolbars were displayed behind the main window. When minimizing the main window, those floating toolbars became visible and unminimizing Bricscad (Linux) was only possible with alt+tab. This issue happened because the toolbars were created before the main window was properly initialized.  Fixed by creating the toolbars at a later time.
    - SR24285: The application may crash when a toolbar is undocked/docked.  This crash was also avoided by creating the toolbars at a later time.
    - When dragging a toolbar to another position, a "hint window" is shown to preview the new placing. Due to a bug in wxWidgets/gtk, this hint window could cause the user interface to freeze.  This issue has been avoided by using a different style for the hint window.
- Fixed transparency issues with icons in the layer combo, customize tree control and drawing explorer. Before this fix the icon backgrounds were grey or black rather than transparent.
- Added display of icons in the gradient name combo and arrowhead combo.  These combo boxes are visible on the properties bar, when a gradient or dimension is selected.
- The commands stylesmanager and plottermanager open the default file browser at the plot style path and plot configuration path respectively.
- SR24274: When searching for shx fonts, the font is found only when an exact case-sensitive filename match is found.  This is fixed.  From now on, files in the search path (shx fonts, images, xref files...) can be found in a case-insensitive way.  In case multiple matches exist, an exact case-sensitive match will have preference over a case-insensitive match.
- The license manager has been activated.  From now on, the normal 30 days trial policy applies.
- When the scrollbars property (WNDLSCRL) was on, Bricscad (Linux) crashed at startup.  The crash has been avoided.  Mind that scrollbars are not supported on linux yet.

known issues:

- 3D solids are not visible in the drawing.
- A new pc3 file cannot be generated yet.  As a result, the target Printer/Plotter Configuration "None (uses default)" cannot be used.
- When starting Bricscad from terminal, this error message may appear: "Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed".
- In the settings dialog, previews are not visible and the layout of the description is incorrect until the settings dialog is resized.
- When changing the background color of the main graphics window, the background is not refreshed immediately and the foreground color may not be adjusted to differ from the background color.
- The COPYCLIP window and the Bricscad Prompt History window appear as a separate application in the application bar.
- Localization issues.  It has been reported several times that non-english characters do not properly display.  Until now, preference has been given to creation of non-english installers.  We have now implemented the means to create a non-english Bricscad (Linux).  From now on we will work on reproducing/fixing the display of non-english characters.
- Installation issues on 64 bit.  It is possible to run Bricscad (Linux) on a 64 bit system.  However, the Bricscad (Linux) installers do not automatically all required 32 bit libraries.  Additional manual setup is needed.  We aim to fix and/or document flaws in the installers as soon as possible.
- SELinux compatibility. When trying to run, the message "can not restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied" may appear.  The compatibility of our libraries with SELinux has been improved: most of our libraries are now compiled with -fPIC flag to avoid the need for relocation.  Full compatibility with SELinux is yet to be tested.

To receive notification for subsequent versions, you can subscribe to the Bricscad for Linux RSS feed.
It is also possible to access the Bricscad for Linux RSS feed as html page.

Greetings
Tijs

Comments

• I tried to introduce a valid Bricscad v10 Windows version, and i got an error message saying that the license was not valid on this plataform.

Why is this happening? I have payed for a win version, and i can't use linux version?

I think it's better for you to revise this or if there is another solution

Best regards

Ricardo Perry

• #Ricardo Perry

No license is required to use Linux versions. It is a Beta version, for testing pourpose only.

• On version 10.4.9 Bricsys activated the licenses:

- The license manager has been activated.  From now on, the normal 30 days trial policy applies.

• The previous two betas and earlier alphas were time limited to the end of a month so the effect was the same.

• As is already the case with a few people who posted on the 10.4.6 thread, I find myself unable to run Bricscad on Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit.

Launching with the icon in Applications > Graphics > bricscadv10 produces nothing.

Launching through a terminal with bricscad or bricscadv10 gets the following error:

exec: 3: /opt/bricsys/bricscad/v10/bricscad: not found

I've tried to cd to /opt/... directory and execute the bricscad file directly, same error. Doing sh bricscad.sh: same error. I've checked and said bricscad file is indeed there, it's 245KB, apparently the same as the one for 10.4.6 on my 9.10 partition.

Since everything worked fine under Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit, this is puzzling.

• Intalled ok, first time works ok, but after reboot Bricscad don't start.

Have Ubuntu 10.04, above the message when run from terminal:

maxi@maxi-desktop:~$ bricscad
    bricscad: /home/build/dev/ddcad.autobuild/ddcad/src/utils/ut_print_data.cpp:632: void ut::PrintData::readFromRegistry(ut::Registry&, const OdString&): Assertion `!printerName.iCompare(strValue)' failed.
    Cancelado
    maxi@maxi-desktop:~$

• I installed Bricscad for linux ver 10.4.9. When I try to model 3d solids, I get a message : Modeling functionality is not available. Is this normal. This is an essential tool for 3d modeling.

Kris

• Still Bricscad can't launch

Remember using page setup that don't display very well the scale and page size.

• I tried to find various shx fonts, but there was only the default; I loaded some but the program did not find them. It turns out that the Fonts folder in the /opt/... folder has an upper case 'F' and the program was searching for a 'fonts', not a 'Fonts'. The same is true of the plot styles and plot config folders. The naming must have changed between versions.

Once I  the rename the folder, the files are found by the program.

• 1. At an intersection the cursor of a graphics objects derivates the cursor-mirage (you have not eliminated an error!!!)
    2. Shape-fonts do not display all characters from Russian layout (' № ')
    3. ttf fonts display Russian characters as want (that correctly, that small squares - depends on position of stars in the sky)
    4. Zoom by means of a mouse ball - it is possible to have time to weld and drink coffee.

5. Mlider it is drawn incorrectly

• Repeated crashes when you open more than one file.

When we will can plot with right colors and widths?

• @elmer gato: you have to purge bricscad with #sudo apt-get purge bricscadv10
    then find all the bricscad files in your system, for example whit #sudo locate bricscad , and reinstall the program.
    I have the same problem when i was trying to configure a pdf printer (cups-pdf), it works but with out the lineweight.

Tenes que desinstalar el bricscad, quitar todos los archivos de configuracion existentes en el sistema (podes buscarlos con locate, find, o grep)
    y luego volver a instalar.
    Este problema apareció mientras configuraba la impresión con una impresora virtual de pdf (cups-pdf).

Espero que te sirva 

• [Edit] In my case i only need to remove .bricsdad and Bricsys directories from my home, and the problem shows up when im trying to print in a A2 or bigger file with the pdf printer.

• when i run bricscad on my ubuntu 10.04, i have this msg on the terminal:

The program 'bricscad' received an X Window System error.

This probably reflects a bug in the program.

The error was 'BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)'.

(Details: serial 15140 error_code 1 request_code 156 minor_code 19)

(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;

that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.

To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line

option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful

backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

• One peculiar bit of behavior that was present in 10.4.6 and persists in 10.4.9 : If you set PDSIZE to a negative value, to get a constant displayed size, the ZOOM function will not recognize node points as entities for the purpose of displaying extents. This happens regardless of PDMODE. I haven't used Autocad for quite some time, but I don't think it behaves this way and I know Intellicad doesn't.

• Its good to see that Fedora & OpenSuse are now the target Distros for RPMs.  Redhat should work fine.  For the first time, I was able to install Bricscad via package-kit (yum) ... well, I had to track dependencies manually as I am running a 64bit OS.  it would be nice to have the following dependencies included in spec file for automatic installation:

libstdc++
    libjpeg
    nss-softokn-freebl
    glibc
    zlib
    libpng
    libgcc
    fontconfig
    cups-libs
    mesa-libGL
    mesa-libGLU
    gtk2
    freetype-freeworld
    libSM
    PackageKit-gtk-module
    libcanberra-gtk2

I am glad SELinux issues are being resolved.

Recent observations and concerns:
    1. The background colour for the drawing window can be changed using the indexed colour chart.  A colour Wheel would be more appropriate for this so that users can have access to a wide range of colours.
    2. There seem to be a regression in the UI.  The buttons and tabs are looking boxy and unattractive.  What happened to the rounded edges of clearlooks ... and the tab-lines?
    3. Toolbars do not change their orientation.  So, they can only be docked at limited number of locations.
    4. The close button on the tabs is still very absent ... I hope this feature will be included eventually.
    5. How does on set the default template?
    6. Is it possible to change the display of the rubber-band line to dashed lines or dotted lines?

• [giacomob@Pc-Linux ~]$ bricscad

bricscad: /home/build/dev/ddcad.autobuild/ddcad/src/utils/ut_print_data.cpp:632: void ut::PrintData::readFromRegistry(ut::Registry&, const OdString&): Assertion `!printerName.iCompare(strValue)' failed.

Abortito (core dumped)

[giacomob@Pc-Linux ~]$ 

What????!!!!

• @pablo deren

Thanks very much, reinstall and now works, perfect.

Muchas gracias Pablo.  Tenes idea por que cuando abro Bricscad me pone el mensaje: Cannot set locale to 'en_US'

Saludos.

• I can't visualize grid, the grid is properly confurated, drawing limit are on, but i can't see the grid.

Enyone have an idea

tanks

• I have downloaded the trial for linux.  I have a lsp for autocad which allows me to bring an PNEZD comma delimitted file in as an ascii file.  This lsp will not run in your software.  Does anyone know of a lsp that will work that will allow me to bring my survey point files into bricscad.  BTW, thank you for porting this to Linux.  My goal is to get as far away from MR. Gates software as possible.

• Well I tried to uninstall then reinstall Bricscad as per pablo deren's suggestion in post #12, but it still won't work on Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit.

So I downloaded the .tar.gz package, and it won't work like the old packages (prior to the Debian packages) used to! What I get is the same error as the .deb package (I placed the terminal in the Bricscad directory):

exec: 3: ./bricscad: not found

• Silly me, NOW I reread the Known issues...

"- Installation issues on 64 bit.  It is possible to run Bricscad (Linux) on a 64 bit system.  However, the Bricscad (Linux) installers do not automatically all required 32 bit libraries.  Additional manual setup is needed.  We aim to fix and/or document flaws in the installers as soon as possible."

But it seems to me that the .tar.gz package should work, since it seems to include all the same librairies as the old .zip packages...

• @Matthew:
    can you send that Lisp file and a sample point file, so we can investigate ?
    Basically, the Lisp should also work under Linux ...
    Currently, not all (vla-...) functions are yet implemented for Linux, but this
    will be finished till ~September ...
    Maybe, your Lisp file suffers from that ?

So I would really like to have a look at the Lisp code ... you might send the files
    via support request.

Many thanks in advance, will keep you updated here as well.

• @Normand:

Perhaps what is needed is the 32-bit libraries written for 64-bit machines. I think there are some processor mode switches

that would not occur on 32-bit machines. Does anyone have a source and a list of the required libraries?

• Normand,

I have Bricscad running on Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit. The deb installer worked perfectly. I don't know much about Linux and I don't know if I can be of much help, but if you could tell me where to find it, maybe I could get a list of libraries for you like Risto mentioned. Or anything else you think might be relevant.

My system :

AMD 64, Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit linux kernal 2.6.31-22 generic

Nvidia driver 185.18.36

Gnome 2.28.1

• I sent a link to the lisp that I am trying to use to the support request page.    I followed the way they said to do it, and I know that it worked in Autocad and I believe it worked in Carlson Intellicad, but both were on windoze.  Below is the same link if anyone wants to look at it and tell me what I did wrong.  I am just learning linux and am probably the problem, not the software.

Thanks,  Matt

http://www.hawsedc.com/gnu/pointsin.php

• Matthew,

please convert pointsin.lsp file to utf-8.

You have a comment at the end of file about Format Options - I think this is the source of problem, while it contains some extended ASCII characters.

After I converted pointsin.lsp to UTF-8, I have no problem with running it on Bricscad beta Version 10.4.9 build 18980 for Linux.

• @Matthew @Stanislav - no real need to convert :-)
    simply delete the last 3 lines - they are a special VisualLISP comment,
    containing formatting informations only ...

As Stanislav mentioned, there are some characters that are not correctly
    converted from Ansi to Unicode, under Linux ... that's why, loading the file
    fails with an error message.

However - here is the good news :
    next version of Bricscad (Linux) will have an updated Lisp engine, which is
    able to bypass that Linux limitations, and will allow to use characters from
    multiple codepages in a single file :-)

Then, this problem is also gone ...

many greetings to all, Torsten

• Bricscad don't launch anymore after print or page setup. Have the following error when try to launch from terminal:

maxi@maxi-desktop:~$ bricscad

Test Bricscad from Alpha, and have this problem only with this Beta version

• If delete the file .bricscad from my home folder, bricscad launch with no problem

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!