Bricscad (Linux) Beta 10.4.12

Hello All,

Bricscad (Linux) beta 10.4.12 is now available.

Bricscad for Linux is in beta stage. It is possible to file support requests. Bear in mind that we cannot guarantee a quick response in this early stage.

Please check our website for updates and inspect the Release notes.  During the beta stage of Bricscad for Linux, the Release notes will contain an updated list of known issues.

fixes:
- Dynamics were not visible on most of the non-black backgrounds.  Fixed.
- Printing: Fixed creating of default.pc3 on Linux. As a result, the target Printer/Plotter Configuration "None (uses default)" can be used from now on.
- When changing the background color of the main graphics window, the background is immediately refreshed.  Before this fix, a layout switch was required to see the change.
- Printing: Preserve the center of a preview window when changing the zoom level by combobox.  If the zoom level is so low that no scrollbars are needed, the page is centered instead.
- Dynamics could cause display artifacts on the screen. Fixed.  This issue was caused by incorrect usage of XOR-mode while drawing with opengl.
- SR24319, Lisp issue: fixed a timing problem with OPEN command, that caused startup Lisp and MenuLisp *.mnl files not being properly loaded into each drawing after opening.
- Hatches inside scaled blocks were not drawn scaled. Fixed.  This issue was caused by incorrect transformation while drawing with opengl.
- Lisp issue: fixed a problem with loading Lisp files in which multiple codepages are used.  Loading the Lisp file failed with message: "; error : malformed list on input at [READ] ...".
- 3D solids were not visible in the drawing. Fixed.
- SELinux issue: The Bricscad (Linux) library libbcadtestrunner.so required relocation in order to be loaded.  This is not allowed by SELinux.  Fixed by recompiling this library with -fPIC flag to avoid the need for relocation.  Before this fix, Bricscad (Linux) failed when SELinux was enabled, displaying the error message  "/opt/bricsys/bricscad/v10/libbcadtestrunner.so: cannot restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied".

known issues:
- When starting Bricscad from terminal, this error message may appear: "Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed".
- In the settings dialog, previews are not visible and the layout of the description is incorrect until the settings dialog is resized.
- The COPYCLIP window and the Bricscad Prompt History window appear as a separate application in the application bar.
- Non-english characters do not properly display when using ttf fonts.  To be further investigated.  Shx fonts do not suffer from this issue.
- Installation issues on 64 bit. It is possible to run Bricscad (Linux) on a 64 bit system. However, the Bricscad (Linux) installers do not automatically add all required 32 bit libraries. Additional manual setup is needed.

To receive notification for subsequent versions, you can subscribe to the Bricscad for Linux RSS feed.
It is also possible to access the Bricscad for Linux RSS feed as html page.

Greetings
Tijs

Comments

• one more good news :)

thanks a lot.

I'll test it right now. fixes looks promising :)

• the deb package depends on nvidia-glx-185 package, and this doesn't make any sense.

I can't install it on a non-nvidia linux machine.

• where i can found dependencies for 64bit ubuntu distro?

• I'm copy rpm to my local closed code repository

>sudo zypper ref

>sudo zypper update brickscadv10

all goes fine no deps on any nvidia packages (yast is most dependancy critical linux package management tool afaik)

I have an intel GMA 3100 graphic card here

found incredible redrawing speedup on opensuse 11.3 now it is very comfortable redrawing speed. I can move/copy selected complicated graphics with text with no problem (I have problems with that in earlier versions)

kernel: 2.6.34-12-desktop

X.org: X.Org X Server 1.8.0

mesa: Mesa 7.8.2

Now I can create blocks in linux version of bricscad(in 4.9 I have a problem with segmentation error)

• where i can found dependencies for 64bit ubuntu distro?

Tijs Vermeulen said

Please check our website for updates and inspect the Release notes

there was an answer in "known issues" section

It is possible to run Bricscad (Linux) on a 64 bit system. However, the Bricscad (Linux) installers do not automatically add all required 32 bit libraries. Additional manual setup is needed. 

for now only 32bit build only available. But it run fine on 64bit (right now I have one installed with bricscad 10.4.12 runned)

• @Dario Caruso
    oops sorry, last message was not in subject

• "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libc6-i686"  (using Ubuntu 64 bit)

This error comes up at install, however, I do have those files installed. I also tried re-installing them but it made no difference.

• I Allways get the message, that it needs a licence key to run, like the expired version from last month. If I set the system date to the middle of July, it works.

Regarding the 64bit issue (ubuntu):

The previous versions worked perfectly, if you had the libc6-i386 package installed. Now the bricscad deb package is asking for an optimized version (libc6-i686) which isn't available for 64bit distros. But it is just a package issue - if you unpack the deb manually, it still works with the libc6-i386 package installed. You can unpack it as follows:

sudo dpkg-deb -X pathToPackage/BricscadClassic-V10.4.12-1-en_US.deb /

now you can run it as normal.

• I have uploaded a new version of the installer with a smaller list of dependencies.  The long list of dependencies was added in error.

The list of dependencies and other package control information can be listed using dpkg --info.

@ xq@wegwerfemail.de:

Thanks for your hints about manual installation of a deb package.  If your trial key has expired on linux, you can request another one by mailing to backoffice@bricsys.com

• Its getting better and better ...

I bumped into another issue.  One AutoCAD 2007 file would not open.  Repeating the transaction at the terminal I got:

DWGdirect warning: Cannot set CMLEADERSTYLE to that value

Bricscad hangs afterwards requiring a forced quit.  Hope there is a solution to this

• Good morning.
    I can not steer toolbars the way I want. If I put it vertical from horizontal this is not possible.
    The program generally responds well but is still slow with files that have pictures.
    I think not yet possible to print a file plotting.
    Last thing. As mentioned by others for past releases would be good to have some icons 'smaller because this is a bit' bulky. Perhaps suffice to reduce them by 20%.
    Good job.

• I can not steer toolbars the way I want. If I put it vertical from horizontal this is not possible.

confirm this

• Has anyone successfully installed this beta under Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit?  I can install, but I get no usable displan in the drawing window.  All toolbars, command line, etc. are present and fully functioning - (i.e. input is accepted, etc.) but I can't see anything where the drawing should be.

I'm configured for a black background, and I'm getting the whole drawing area in a light gray with only the system main window color visible.  If I change the system appearance window color setting, the color of the drawing tabs will update when I open a new drawing or close an existing drawing.

I'm currently running the Xorg default video drivers.  I've also tried using the ATI custom FGRLX graphics driver with no better success.

Computer is HP 6735s laptop, ATI Radeon HD3200 graphics adaptor, TurionX2 Mobile dual core processor (RM-72) with 4MB ram (256MB shared to the video)

I've tried running under both Linux 2.6.32-24-generic and Linux 2.6.32-24-generic-pae kernels with no noted difference.

I'd like to provide other input, but can't get started with this beta beyond this point.  Thanks for all the good work, though.

• Hey Bradley: I have the exact same problem with this release. Have never had any problems with previous releases. This installation had no dependency issues. It appears that the graphics window is not refreshing. Everything else seems fine. I'm certain that we are not the only two having this issue. I just uninstalled the new version and reinstalled the 10.4.9 release.

• openSUSE 11.3 (x86-64) with NVIDIA Linux Display Driver  256.35 : There is a 32-bit library libGL, but is absent libGLU - to start bricscad not probably.

• @ Greg Hahn & Bradley Hake

Have installed successfully under Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit. By default all seems to work properly and fast. Have nvidia drivers installed from Ubuntu.

• No 3D modelling yet  ... Oh com'on.

• @Yuriy Lalym

mayber you can make a link

ln -s  libGL libGLU?

• there seem to be nasty OpenGL issues with this one ...

On my PIV system with onboard graphics (Debian stable with intel driver and dri) that ran all previous versions flawlessly, 10.4.12 is not usable - the graphics area gets only a few refreshes per second, redrawing is so slow that feedback items (snap markers, tracking path...) do not get drawn at all. The terminal shows a number of new errors, like 'GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed'. Looks as if some OpenGL-configuration gets changed - if I start 10.4.9 after 10.4.12, the same errors are thrown.

On an Asus EEE 1005PE with ubuntu 10.04 netbook remix (intel driver with dri2)  however, the program runs fine, but the terminal shows a warning: 'do_wait: drmWaitVBlank returned -1, IRQs don't seem to be working correctly. Try adjusting the vblank_mode configuration parameter' . (off topic, but I have to repeat it: on a netbook, the drawing-tabs really suck!  It should be possible to turn them off, and anyway, they shouldn't display if there is just one file open. I also like to turn the layout tabs off, but then there is no way in the GUI to switch between layouts - wasn't this possible in previous versions via a field in the status line? This would be far better, IMO)

Also checked this version on my old thinkpad X24 (slitaz with radeon driver) - no change there, 10.4.12  just runs with dri disabled, otherwise there is a segmentation fault when it tries to open the graphics area.

These display problems seem to concern quite a number of installations - maybe there should be a separate thread for this, so the information gets collected in one place?

• (off topic, but I have to repeat it: on a netbook, the drawing-tabs really suck!  It should be possible to turn them off, and anyway, they shouldn't display if there is just one file open. I also like to turn the layout tabs off, but then there is no way in the GUI to switch between layouts - wasn't this possible in previous versions via a field in the status line? This would be far better, IMO)

mostly +1

I have to say that tab battons should be customised. It cool, but it should be easiely moved to left or right side. for my own opinion the vertical display is very critical. But width of the monitor should be used.

that is the problem with some panels, tabbar, Command Bar panel. should not use vertical bar above console with only text Command bar and closed button.

Status bar buttons(SNAP, GRID, ORTHO, POLAR etc) easelly (I mean without loosing functionality) can be moved to side.

Coords in status did somebody look at them? Personally me? i'm ever did'not look on htem. If I want to create point I know exactly where I want to create it. line 0,0,0 is a start. why I should knew coords of my cursor? Maybe that need developers but i'n never need this feature. As for File, Edit, View etc popup menu. For sure it should be hidable.

And it should be some modes of GUI like novice, expert, developer.

Thank you

• there seem to be nasty OpenGL issues with this one ...

I have the same issu here - X.Org 1.6.5

OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 (RV515 7145) 20090101 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL
    OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 7.6

The whole thing is unusably slow, while 10.4.9 was absolutely fine...

• Andrey Didencool,

Very good comments; newer monitors are becoming wide-screen and user interfaces should follow. Even better, the pop-up when you right-click the mouse ought to have a full array of commands. That is the point from where it takes the least motion to reach a command... and right clicking ought to pop out menus up, down, sideways and 2-or 3-deep. Every reasonable command ought to be reachable in two or three clicks from a right mouse click.

• @Andrey Didencool

As it to change GL Utility on Open GL

• #23: I would subscribe to this (having the main menu as a popup that can be bound to mouse buttons or hotkeys). Actually, most of this should already be possible - just by eliminating the POP*-aliases from the default.cui file, and putting the main pulldowns under CMDEFAULT (provided the first to bits of SHORTCUTMENU are set):

<PopMenu UID="ID_CmDefault">            <Alias>CMDEFAULT</Alias>            <Name>&amp;Default</Name>             <PopMenuRef pUID="ID_MnFile"/>             <PopMenuRef pUID="ID_MnEdit"/>             <PopMenuRef pUID="ID_MnFView"/>             <PopMenuRef pUID="ID_MnDraw"/>             <PopMenuRef pUID="ID_MnModify"/>             <PopMenuRef pUID="ID_MnDimension"/>             <PopMenuRef pUID="ID_MnSettings"/>             <PopMenuRef pUID="ID_MnTools"/>             <PopMenuRef pUID="ID_MnWindow"/>             <PopMenuRef pUID="ID_MnHelp"/>             </PopMenu>

However, this doesn't work right now:

• first, instead of hiding the menu-bar if no pulldowns are found, bricscad creates a file-pulldown with just 'menu' as item
    • second, the menus seem to get reconstructed each time they are invoked. The shortcutmenu therefore takes much too long to pop up, and when it eventually displays, seems to be defunct

What would be needed (apart from free configuration of the mouse buttons, which was promised for the next major release) is a caching mechanism for menus, and a configuration option to hide the menu bar.

Besides, I agree with Andrey - there is no ideal GUI that fits all, just give the users the maximum freedom to tweak it.

Sorry: Looks as if some OpenGL-configuration gets changed - if I start 10.4.9 after 10.4.12, the same errors are thrown - seems to be an error from my side, couldn't reproduce this

• To Tom Vrana

Same experience. I have r600_dri OSS drivers. Graphic kart r710.

• Started playing around a bit in 3d, constructing a wireframe-model that I then imported into blender for meshing. This works fine - snapping / extending / trimming lines in 3d is fast and reliable (this is not such a bad workflow for visualization, after all: I normally use rhino for the initial modelling, but sometimes cleaning up the imported meshes in blender takes as long as recreating them from 2d-outlines). Just one small issue: when you create lines snapping to arbitrary points in space while in WCS,  then fit the UCS to a coplanar set of them and try to join them into a polyline, this fails. Instead, the converted lines get projected back into WCS - quite funny.

• Hi, all

found one more problem.

I can open properties bar with Ctrl+1 key combination. That's just fine. But how can I close it? Repetly Ctrl+1 press, has no effect.

I definitly expect that Ctrl+1 should close Properties bar if it open.

• Is 3d modeling avilable?

I am currently using version 10.4.9 which does not support 3d modeling.

• If the properties bar is active, it cannot be closed with Ctrl+1.  Click inside the main graphics screen and press Ctrl+1 again.  This limitation is present both on Windows and Linux.

The current Bricscad (Linux) is an equivalent for Bricscad Classic (Windows).  Editing of 3D solids requires the Acis library, which is present in Bricscad Pro (Windows) only, and not present in Bricscad (Linux) at this point.  Commands that create 3D Solids behave differently depending on the presence of Acis.  See the help page of the Box command for a typical Classic/Pro difference.

This discussion has been closed.