Bricscad 10.6.5 vs AresCE 10.4.465

I made two videos to compare Ares Commander Edition Linux (beta) with Bricscad (latest version Linux). They are available at this links:

AresCE.10.4.465.ogv --> http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/c56f58b836_11.45MB

Bricscad.10.6.5.ogv --> http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/2d5b646876_6.13MB

It's a good comparison.

Comments

• what did you want to show?

• Well, first of all say that we have five Bricscad Pro licenses and work with it professionally. For now running on Win XP and waiting to migrate to Ubuntu as soon as possible.

These two videos have been recorded on the same pc with the following configuration: Core2 Duo E7500; 4 Gb RAM; ASUS EHA 4350 1Gb; Ubuntu 10.04 with Catalyst 10.8

In both programs have opened the same files.

The first impression is that AresCE has a more consistent interface, despite being at an early stage of development. Toolbars are fully configurable and you can arrange them in vertical or horizontal way easily. Crosshairs do not blink and not see the cursor on it.

AresCM doesn't have tabs to switch between open files, releasing vertical space (and it is really very important). Bricscad should implement the ability to disable that functionality.

In general, the feeling I have to work with AresCE is that its interface is best suited for Ubuntu, is faster than Bricscad interface and looks much more actual.

Doing extensive testing with five open files, each with multiple layouts, Bricscad freezes after a few minutes, even has crash. But AresCE never crash (at least I did not get to fail). The test was simple actions: zoom, pan, copy and paste entities, switch tabs and switch files.

Another thing that caught my attention is the amazing speed of AresCE switching between tabs (model/layout).

AresCM manages memory better Bricscad? It is a problem with Ati driver? I have no idea.

Bricscad for Windows works much better and faster than Bricscad for Linux. This is a real headache for us. The CAD program is a key element in our firm.

Drawing with the two programs, one thing is immediately obvious (as shown in the video): you can draw in 3D with AresCM and you can not do with Bricscad... Wow! Something is wrong here... We must remember that AresCm is a beta version. According to information from the developers, the final version is not available until six months from now.

There is also good news about Bricscad: drawing is much better than AresCM. Faster, more usable, more comfortable, more versatile...

I think it's good to look both ways for further improvement.

Regards.

• 1. compatitor does not have "fields" (this is critical for me)

2. I have expirience that competitor have much less speed then bricscad on my intel gfx card

1. I agree
    2. I totally agree

I think that Bricscad is the winning horse. Which is obvious, because I am a customer. But... I also believe it is important to know the virtues of its competitors to improve those things that are not well tuned.

By this I mean that must continue working to improve Bricscad Linux. It is a constructive review and I hope that serves to encourage developers to continue working hard.

Regards.

• @Daniel Dapena

I only want SVG import/export

http://vimeo.com/14955725

thanks to Maximilian Albert

• What it's really missing in Bricscad for Linux (now) is the Pro version.

Without solid modelling, on this times, it's a big problem.

Also the BRX api should be implemented, but that one is less urgent.

About the speed/interface glitches, I think they'll be quickly solved.

Max

• /me thinking that BIM technology is not right road to the future. Maybe Much more later. Or you should have some programmers at your studio. This is too expensive.

I was working for 8 years with ArchiCAD BIM technology

• Ares have a professional "look", but Bricscad run faster in my computer (athlon xp2400, 2gb ram, ubuntu 10.04, nvidia). Ares have an excellent translation to spanish, like never saw, but speed is very important for me. I don't find a forum of Ares, and a forum is important too. Bricscad people read it.

@ Didencool, we use Archicad and before Architectural Desktop. I think that BIM is better for some things, and CAD for other things, we use both.

• Ares license don't have the ridiculous USA restrictions to export software to Cuba, etc... that Bricscad have.

• Think that Bricscad have better price

• Daniel Dapena wrote :

"Drawing with the two programs, one thing is immediately obvious (as shown in the video): you can draw in 3D with AresCM and you can not do with Bricscad... Wow! Something is wrong here..."

You are comparing apples to oranges.

Bricscad Classic = ARES = AutoCAD LT (no ACIS modeling)

Bricscad Pro = ARES Commander Edition (both have ACIS modeling, the Linux version of Bricscad Pro is not out yet)

I was a little disappointed with Bricscad's UI integration under Ubuntu (GNOME). I'm thinking about the clashing colors in the window borders. It's a small detail, I'll admit. But I don't think it's Bricsys' shortcoming, probably it's wxWidgets (that said without knowing anything about programming!). I've seen the same "problem" in another CAD app which uses wxWidgets. Curiously, ARES and another CAD app I know of that use Qt integrate better visually in GNOME.

• Normand Chamberland wrote :

"You are comparing apples to oranges."

Yep, right, but ARES is selling both apples and oranges, Bricsys just apples.....

• @ Normand

Try to change Ubuntu themes and see the results. After change the themes, and back to the previous theme, all seems ok for me.

• @ elmer gato

Changing the desktop theme has no effect. The fact is, no matter the what the desktop theme is set to, the window borders surrounding the toolbars are never the same color as the toolbars themselves, which adopt the theme color. After a theme change, sometimes the border is some dark tan color, sometimes light grey as in this screenshot I just took:

[URL=http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=545496Bricscad__Trial__006.png][IMG]http://img11.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_545496Bricscad__Trial__006.png[/IMG][/URL]

P.S. I just deactivated desktop effects, no change either.

• OK, this forum won't accept forum thumbnail code... So here's an HTML link to the image.

• SCHWING! That's beautiful! I've got to get me a Linux box ... Sorry for my outburst please continue.

• Funny. On OpenSUSE 11.2 the toolbars and their borders are the correct color whatever color I set them to. I do have a few extra themes and theme-engines that don't come as default though, like gtk-qt-engine.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!