Bricscad on Ubuntu 11.04

I had Bricscad working great on Ubuntu 10.10 32 bit, and I upgraded to ubuntu 11.04.  Bricscad crashes after one command.  Do I need to go back to 10.10?  I knew I should not have upgraded but it looked so good.  10.10 was really great.  Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• I have been using both 11.3.8-1 and 11.3.13-1 beta on Ubuntu 11.04 successfully. My processor is an Intel Atom D510 with  integrated video.

You will need to supply more detail about your computer before  further help/advice is possible.

• I have a HP pavilion dv5-1003nr notebook, ATI radeon hd3200 graphics card, amd turion x2 64 processor but only 32 bit ubuntu version running on computer, i do not tweak any things really in ubuntu it either works or it doesn't.  I have been using ubuntu since 9.04 and very happy.  Only software package giving trouble since upgrade to 11.04 is bricscad. what else do you need to know?  Help.  Thanks for everyone's time in advance.  I have unloaded and reloaded bricscad several times and so if others have it working on 11.04 and it was working in 10.10 then must be a setting? 

• when I start a line, bricscad just closes, no error messages that I see.  If I don't do entity input well it will stay open for a few commands.  FYI.

• I also use Ubuntu 11.04, as do most Bricsys developers working on Bricscad (Linux).  Mind that I use Ubuntu Classic, not the new user interface Unity.  Since you don't tweak things you are perhaps using Unity, which is the default in 11.04.

Please enter a support request for this issue.  In the meantime, you can

• try Ubuntu Classic (you can choose Ubuntu Classic somewhere at the bottom of the login screen).
    • check the variable GLSWAPMODE, see our forumpost on GLX problems.
    • try running bricscad from the commandline.  How to do so is described in our knowledge base article Bricscad (Linux) rpm installer on 64bit Fedora or OpenSuse . The topic is not relevant, but the section "More information" explains how to start bricscad from commandline.

Regards

Tijs

• I 'd want to know if anyone could make a "Pro" version for Linux work.

Could anyone insert 3D blocks?

I tried it on Debian and could't see th blocks. Nor some layers.

Is there a need to use just Ubuntu?

Regards

A. de la Barra

• I 'd want to know if anyone could make a "Pro" version for Linux work.

Could anyone insert 3D blocks?

I tried it on Debian and could't see th blocks. Nor some layers.

Is there a need to use just Ubuntu?

Regards

A. de la Barra

• Alejandro,

the pro version runs as well on debian (I use stable and testing) as on ubuntu. Never experienced problems like you mentioned, most likely these are linked to the graphics hardware/driver. Anyway, this is not the right place to post this, feel free to open a topic like 'Bricscad on Debian' and describe the problems more thoroughly (which hardware, which debian version, what happens exactly under what circumstances...), otherwise nobody will be able to help.

• Is bricscad working on unity or not? (most of you use ubuntu 11.04 like you said) so can you share with us this knowledge?

• Bricsys Team and any users,

I have not had Bricscad working since I upgraded to 11.04.  I am novice and just used windows turbocad.  I just upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 and first program I checked was Bricscad.  It worked!!!!   FYI.

Michael Harold

HP Pavilion dv5-1003nr

ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics

AMD turion X2

Ubuntu 11.10 32 bit

• I have the same problem with V12 crashing at the first command. Graphics window issues, etc. .

I use Ubuntu 11-04 using the classic interface, because Unity just isn't making it for me. Also have an ATI Radeon card, which is I believe where things go wrong.

However, when I boot Ubuntu and specify "Low Graphics Mode", Bricscad works just fine. For me, it was never a Bricscad version issue, it has always been the graphics driver.

Good Luck.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!