Clip planes

I've never used / not need it before. So what I need. I'm assembled floors building  to "3D" and sorry if I ask wrong.

Ground floor (EG): -300 to 3300
1st Upper floor (OG1): 3300 to 6900
2nd Upper floor (OG2): 6900 to 10500
etc...

Now I need set views only to EG (-300 to 3300), next to OG1 (3300 to 6900) etc...

I find in BC v12 SECTIONPLANE. Section can have STATE: VOLUME. I thing, it's right what I need.

But... As I try and understand, it work only with real 3D object.

But... when I have attached 2D XRefs, they are still visible and also text, etc...

Is possible make something like this in BricsCad?

Comments

• I am not sure I completely understand what you are trying to do...
    But if you want to create a plan section from a 3D model you should:
    1. Create a horizontal section plane.
    2. Use the _sectionplanetoblock command to create the plan section.

BTW: The face hatch of the section plane is not used in the block. Bug?
  • Below is an image to clarify my previous post.
    The block created by the _sectionplanetoblock command is in the background.
    As you can see the text does not end up in this block.
    imageExample_Sectionplane.png
  • I need do this. EG (from -300 to 3300), OG1 (from 3300 to 6900)... are xrefs.
    And I want set "view" only for EG, OG1, OG2...
    If I "set/choose" "something", let I view only entities from -300 to 3300 = EG, etc...

I found approximately as sectionplanes works, but it only work for 3D entities.
    imagexrefs.png
  • Juraj,
    if I understand you right, you want to clip your view to certain elevation values. I never used this myself, but it should work like this:
    in plan view, invoke the dview command, use the clip option to set the front clipping distance to 3300 and the back clipping distance to -300, save this view as 'EG' and repeat for the rest of your levels. But be warned: you are in a kind of legacy perspective mode (although your view is still orthogonal), and many commands will yield unexpected result or not function at all - this view mode wasn't meant for working.
    Instead, why don't you just simply put the xrefs on separate insertion layers (named perhaps EG, OG1,OG2...) and setup a layout for each story, with a viewport in which all insertion layers except the wanted are frozen?

• @Knut:

Thanks, that's probably what I need. I must fully understand this command. It work only in plan view? Isn't something simmilar to use it in 3D?
    Layer with prefix of floors (EG, OG1...) isn't possible. Normally I'm not work in 3D, but we bought Ax3000 software (here can be elements assigned by device, but not by floors).

Once again, thanks.
  • Hello Juraj,
    No, the dview command does not work in plan view only - in fact, it had not been intended to be used for orthogonal projections, but as a tool to set up perspective views. So, you could use this with arbitrary view points, but it will likely not produce the result you expect: the front and back clipping planes are always orthogonal to the view direction and positioned in relation to the target point; it is not possible to clip the model in plan view and then have a look at it let's say in axonometric view...
    The necessary steps are as follows:
    - invoke dview, select some reference geometry
    - choose the POints option and set your target point e.g. to 0,0,0 and your camera to e.g. 0,0,1000
    - choose CLip, then Front and set it e.g. to 800 (distance is measured from the target point, positive means towards the camera)
    - choose CLip, then Back and set it e.g. to -100
    - exit dview
    This will produce a plan view clipped to z values between -100 and 800 (PERSPECTIVE has to be off)
    You can then zoom in and out and pan, but if you rotate the view, the clip planes will rotate with it.

• Thanks for helping, but it produce it something like this.
    imageizo01.png
  • Juraj,
    unfortunately, the image you attached looks perfectly correct to me...
    If you set front and back clipping plane quite near to each other and leave plan view, you will just see narrow slices of your stacked plans - that's what I wanted to say with 'it is not possible to clip the model in plan view and then have a look at it let's say in axonometric view'...
  • @Knut: Thanks again. I found now filters in Ax3000, which do, what you wrote (suffix for layer for each floor - I wrote bad info before). Now I have what I need, and your steps I use also. Min. I know something new. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!