Dimensions problem

In V11.4.6 if you addd a dimension (architectural) and you move the text label out with the " keep the dim line with text" option you can than place the text label as close to the dimension itself as you want without loosing the added dimension line.

In V12.1.5 as soon as you move out the text label with the "keep the dim line with text" option you cannot move the text label closer than a certain space from the dimension itself. It's blocked.

Has anyone an idea about why's that? Is this a bug?

Comments

• I cannot reproduce this. With the "Keep the dim line with text" option V11.4.6 and V12.1.5 seem to behave the same.
    Shouldn't you switch to the "Move text, no leader" with "Dim line forced" swiched on to get the desired effect?

Are you comparing the same dimension in the same dwg?

• I am comparing the same drawing opened in the two versions.

If I switch to move text no leader I can move it as close to the actual dimension as I need to but I loose the that leader and I need it.

• Emanuel, I am a little confused.
    In your first post you mention that you use the "Keep the dim line with text" option. This does not produce a leader. In post #4 you say that you do want a leader.

If I start a new drawing, using the Default-mm.dwt template, and change the dimstyle to "Move text, add leader", I find that if I move the text to within a certain distance of the dimline the leader indeed disappears. But again V11.4.6 and V12.1.5 seem to behave the same.

I suggest you file a SR.

• @Emanuel: You're right. I can duplicate what you're talking about. It's a problem introduced with this latest release. The program is not honoring the text placement settings. Have you placed a support request yet? It's obviously an introduced regression.

Cheers, Greg

• Thanks Greg.

I did not filed a request as I wasn't sure if this is something that is supposed to be  like that or it's a regression.

As you could duplicate I will do a SR today and see what happens.

Thanks for the support guys!

• Hey Emanuel:
    What kind of response did you get to your support request?
    Is it truly a regression or is this the new normal?
    Thanks, Greg
  • The first answer was this:

"Excuse me, but I am not sure I understand you quite well. If you move dimension text with " keep the dim line with text" option then dimension line is moved with text, and no leader line is created. If you use "move text, add leader" option then leader line appears after a certain distance from the dimension line. As far as I can see this distance is the same in V11, V12 and AutoCAD.
    If I miss something please attach a sample of drawing and some snapshots illustrating the problem."

After I attached some pictures I got this:

"Thank you for attached images. I tried to reproduce the problem according this, but everything is working properly on my machine. Please find a video at the attachment. May be this behavior is connected with other settings. For additional investigation I need the drawing with your sample and your user profile."

So finally I sent all info requested plus a movie showing the condition and the result was this:

"Thanks, now I see the problem. It looks it is connected somehow with arrows size. This behavior will be investigated."

No news since the last answer so I guess they are still looking into it. Anyway the SR is still opened.

• Today I received another answer:

"The behavior in V11 indeed was not acad compatible, this has been fixed in V12.
    The dimension now behaves according to its settings, before it did not obey them."

I've checked in AutoCAD 2011 and this is true. There is the same behaviour.

So I guess previousily it worked wrong but it was more suitable for us. Now it works corectly but it became less user freindly. How about customer needs?

Thanks,

Emanuel

• I was thinking that it might be the new normal. Like you, I prefer the way it worked before. I understand that AutoCAD compatibility is requisite, but this does not preclude adding the ability to have it work both ways. Prior to this "fix", text placement & appearance would be retained whether opened in Bricscad or AutoCAD. Adding the ability to go either way would be a "feature" that is still compatible and compliant and would probably be added to AutoCAD in future, since it really is "better".

This is my vote for adding the ability to have it both ways.

Cheers, Greg
This discussion has been closed.