RC_NO_WINDOW. Redsdk initialization error.

I installed V12 on Ubuntu 11.10.When I start Bricscad I get the startup screen and I see Layout tabs at the bottom of the screen.Then I get an Oda device driver error message: RC_NO_WINDOW. Redsdk initialization error.What am I missing?Thank you,Tom

Comments

• did you start up in 2D Context or 3D Context?

is your graphics card ATI or Nvidia?
  • Hello Tom,

I guess your driver has no hardware acceleration.
    Can you check the system setting "Additional Drivers"?
    If a recommended driver is available for your video card, activate it and reboot the system.

If it still doesn't work or no driver is available, pick "2D Drafting" in the startup screen of Bricscad.

See also our knowledge base article What are the Bricscad system requirements?.

Regards
    Tijs
  • Hi

This is my first post here, after first minutes trying this CAD program.

BTW, i use mageia Linux, both for work and at home.

I get the same error, works in 2d only.

Graphics: Radeon HD6850.  (CPU: i7, RAM: 8 GB, monitor 2560x1600)

Right now i spot a used Nvidia Quadro 3800 for sale, will that work?

• I asked my system, it say controller chip ID is 0x6739 (with sub-ID ‎0x200f)

And it is listed at http://www.redway3d.com/pages/GPUList.php , but as "AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series / 6859 X2"

I guess they mean it is only the 6859 X2 version that works.  (OR mine with same main ID should work and i have wrong driver or something?)

My system uses Module: "ATI Radeon HD 2000 and later (radeon/fglrx)"  I also have one alternative named "(radeonhd/fglrx)" (note the "hd" part, but i have had severe boot issues with that unfortunately...

I have also spotted  NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX and -GTS for sale cheap, and see them listed @ that redway GPUList, but does that mean they work in Linux too?

Do virtually all NVIDIA cards work?

• Hi Morgan,

Check that the radeon module is blacklisted and try to load the X with the fglrx binary (from repositories or from ati)
    Once installed, check for module loading in X11/xorg.conf and make sure its loading.
    Radeon opensource vga driver module do not work with 3D context even on kernel 3.3rc7.

Regards.-
  • Thank you Guillermo

Blacklist: where, why?

I use proprietary driver fglrx version 8.881-1.mga1.nonfree  x86_64

Kernel 2.6.38.8-desktop-10.mga #1 SMP Wed Jan 25 10:17:18 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Attached is screenshot of the catalyst control panel summary

imageAMD_Catalyst.png
  • Hi Morgan,
    It seems ok. Driver is working.
    I recommended you before to blacklist "radeon" module if you dont know if fglrx blob driver is working or not. But the screenshot is pretty clear. Fglrx is working.
    Double check if in X11/xorg.conf are these lines:
        Driver      "fglrx"
        Option      "RenderAccel" "true"
        Option      "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
    I think, with your hw-configuration RedSDK should work fine.

In my case, I cant use atidriver with Ubuntu 12.04 (beta1) right now and fglrx package is broken. :( Hope in few weeks get solved.
  • Btw,

The 3D feature under linux with AMD/ATI hardware works for someone  ?
    Or the specs in this page give no exception story ? (http://www.bricsys.com/common/knowledge/topic.jsp?id=65)

• I only had [code]Section "Device"
          Identifier "device1"
          BoardName "ATI Radeon HD 2000 and later (radeonhd/fglrx)"
          Driver "fglrx"

Option "DPMS"

EndSection[/code]

But now i added the two option lines you suggested, rebooted, and... No change.

That said i know much configuration of X is done soe other way than xorg.conf, but i do not know details.

But i do know OpenGL is working, as for example KDE desktop effects is using it.

• it's a poor test of opengl, but have you tried glxgears?
  • Hi Morgan,
    It seems ok. Driver is working.
    I recommended you before to blacklist "radeon" module if you dont know if fglrx blob driver is working or not. But the screenshot is pretty clear. Fglrx is working.
    Double check if in X11/xorg.conf are these lines:
        Driver      "fglrx"
        Option      "RenderAccel" "true"
        Option      "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
    I think, with your hw-configuration RedSDK should work fine.

In my case, I cant use atidriver with Ubuntu 12.04 (beta1) right now and fglrx package is broken. :( Hope in few weeks get solved.

Mandriva 2011 64bit, Radeon hd 6700

I thought I would try this suggestion but no luck.

[ 16879.334] (WW) fglrx(0): Option "RenderAccel" is not used
    [ 16879.334] (WW) fglrx(0): Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" is not used

• This is from package "x11-driver-video-fglrx - ATI proprietary X.org driver and libraries"

A spinning cube with gearwheels on the sides. Runs like crazy.

[code]# cd /usr/bin

# ./fgl_glxgears
    Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
    8827 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1765.400 FPS

9725 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1945.000 FPS[/code]

What we need is some more detailed response from bricscad on what the problem more exactly is.

Nothing else i have tried fails.

Sidenote: i have never before used a fourm with theese strange paste and linespace problems i experience here. (using Opera 11.61)

• I installed mesa-demos 8.0.1-5.mga1 and run some of the tests, all i tried works, reflective sphere in turning cuve, raytrace etc, see http://www.mesa3d.org

We need bicsad / Redsdk to tell what the problem is

so we can tell them or graphic chip developers what problem there are

Maybe there is a demo/test suite for Redsdk like it is for mesa3d ?

• Similarly here

bash-4.2$ /usr/bin/fgl_glxgears
    Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
    10218 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2043.600 FPS
    12003 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2400.600 FPS

It would seem that fglrx is installed and working correcly.

• inner graphics
    [code]
    > glxinfo | grep render
    direct rendering: Yes
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series
        GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, GL_NV_copy_image,
    [/code]
    [code]
     # lsmod | grep fglrx
    fglrx                3136521  47 
    button                 13949  1 fglrx
    [/code]
    [code]
    > fgl_glxgears
    Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
    1744 frames in 5.0 seconds = 348.800 FPS
    1980 frames in 5.0 seconds = 396.000 FPS
    1712 frames in 5.0 seconds = 342.400 FPS
    [/code]

• I recieved a reply from support:

Currently RedSdk hardware rendering always fails to initialize on Linux, due to a bug during (dynamic) library loading. It has been discussed in the Vondle project for communication with Redway

Redway is committed to add support for more cards in a next version of REDSDK.

• I'm not sure if this will help anyone, but FYI

"AMD has publicly released the open-source code to the Radeon HD 7000 series 'Southern Islands' graphics cards for Linux users. This allows users of AMD's latest-generation of Radeon graphics cards to use the open-source Linux driver rather than Catalyst, plus there's also early support for AMD's next-generation Fusion APUs."
This discussion has been closed.