error saving to file

Hi, we recently purchased Bricscad as a tool for people in our office who should be able to open up cad-dwg files and do some basic stuff with it. This means that most of our files are being generated by other people in Autodesk Autocad. Today, we noticed that if an acad generated file is opened in Bricscad, you put a dimension on it, using "dimlinear" or "dimaligned" and then click "save", it says "Error saving to file ... The file may be corrupt". If you then close the file (because you are unable to save it and try to re-open it in Autocad, Autocad syas "drawing is not valid". "Recover" is not working, nor in Bricscad, nor in Autocad, meaning the file is completely thrashed, which is, of course, unacceptable. Does anyone have any clue what could cause this to happen or, even better, did find a solution to it?

Comments

• Could you please file a support request and attach a file that is known to trigger this problem. We will be glad to investigate what goes wrong and fix the issue.

• I just had it with a file with about 10 days work in it.Not sure if it began life as an Acad dwg or not, but I try to reduce foreign files to basic entities, purge, erase all hatches, kill zombies etc.It had no problems until the last couple of days - first thing in the morning, first save it refused. It would save as another file name so I did that, recovered the new file (which listed some errors) then it worked fine for the day but did it again next day.I rescued it the same way then *inserted the file into a new empty file, saved that and it now that seems fine, but the job was close to finished so it won't get really tested.The new file is ~1,320 kbytes against ~1,400 Kbytes, both are purged and there seems nothing missing.Inserting into an empty file has revived a number of files for me, even from years ago with old versions of Acad.

• I have encountered this same error three times in the past four working days. Once with v8.2.8 and twice with v8.2.10. The two occasions with v8.2.10 were on different machines, both running WinXP Pro.Between the two machines we have been working with many different files so the error is not very repeatable. Once of the files had been opened and worked on many times over a two day period prior to the error.On each occasion the files were located on a file server accessed over network.Once was a simple drawing with 10 lines only while the other two were more complex with XREF's and viewports in Layout tabs, etc.All drawings were created with Bricscad.I have been unable to narrow in on the trigger as of yet other than each time it occurs during a QSAVE.Once the error happens all edits I tried were successful. I was able to print a perfect hard copy yet I could not save to old or new location. It seems to be an odd error.I have filed a ticket in the support area also.

• Just yesterday I received an Acad file and the same happened after a while just exploring it, purging (though only 1 linetype was found), saving a few times.Fairly big file 12mb though it was only ~4mb without the 6 pspace layouts.My other file which I could salvage, had no layouts - I don't use pspace.Then it wouldn't save at all, I could only go back to the original copy and start again. I don't know what I did to make it happen, but sent as a support request.I thought of cut and paste into a blank file, but I can't transport layouts.

• Just a message to let you know we're looking into this and trying to reproduce the issue with the drawings you provided.

• HiI made a similar experience yesterday. Trying to locally save a new file from scratch as a template. The same dialog "file could be corrupt" appeared, all what's saved is an empty file. V 8.1.19

• hi, I have the same problem with a set of drawings. They open fine, i work on the lighting layout and then am unable to save them - 'error saving to file'. have they worked out what causes this yet. I'm running  windows 7, 64 bit with briscad version 11.4.6
  •  Emily, this is a very old thread concerning BCad V8.  I am sure that whatever issue was occurring here has since been fixed and not the same as you are experiencing in V11.  You should file a support request with the offending files; though having said that I am not sure if V11 is still being actively supported from a bug fixing point of view as V12 has been the standard now for at least six months.  Perhaps ensuring that you are using the final version of V11 might remedy the problem...
  • Hi Daniel,

It is interesting that you mention V11 not being supported, As we have only changed to Briscad as an organisation in the last 6 months, we have purchased licenses for this software so we expect it to be supported. Please can you explain how I can go about updating to a newer version, having only recently purchased 11.4.6

When exactly was V12 realeased?

I did submit a support request but haven't recieved a response.

thanks for your help.

•  Hi Emily,

You posted your support request yesterday.  It has been assigned to one of our support analysts, so please give us some time to process it and get back to you.

You indicate you purchased Bricscad recently: so far we don't find a license key in our records, so can you please post a separate support request with the Bricscad license key you use?  That will allow us to check what version you're entitled to.

Note that Bricscad V12 has been released in October last year.

Best regards,
    mark
  • Hi Emily,

V12 was released last October. As far as I'm aware 11.4.6 was the last update made to V11. The month prior (approx) to the release of V12, Bricsys provided V12 keys to anyone purchasing V11 (If you purchased an "All-In" subscription you would of been emailed new keys on the launch of V12). What this means is that you may actually already have key(s) for V12. The easiest way to find out would be to download and install V12, and try using your current license keys when prompted. Installing V12 will also allow you to determine whether the issue has since been resolved in any case.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

• Hi Jason, thanks for this response, Briscad was rolled out across our organisation worldwide- sounds like before the month before the V12 version. I will speak to our central IT support about updating to V12. In any case will you still be supporting V11?

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!