3D convert to 2D

I got a 3d drawing i want to convert it to 2D layout as the pdf file attach. Can bricscad do so and how to do it?

Comments

• One way is to convert the PDF back to DWG using a program like Able2extract, if it was produced from cad not scanned.
  • Hi Eric,

You received the in .DWG format, its in 3d, and you want to generate 2d views? If so, and assuming you have Pro/Platinum try:
    • _FLATSHOT.
    • _SOLPROF.
    • _XQUICKDRAW (Platinum only).
    If you only have the file as a PDF, I would probably just re-draw, as it is a fairly simple object.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

• actually is we use Bricscad to draw a 3D drawing and i want to let the production the dimension so i need to convert it to 2D layout like the pdf attach. 
  • It would seem the PDF is already what you want to give the workshop, although they would like some view or section indicators since it's not in first or third angle projection. I guess two separate parts dimensioned in space makes sense within the organisation, or perhaps it's a first attempt at producing what you want. 

But I also am interested in answers to Eric's question of how to get from a 3d model into 2d reports which are what end users of drawings still mostly need.

• Sorry I misunderstood.

Bricscad can create PDF's using Export on the File menu.

The options were limited although I believe they have improved. I still use external software, have not tried Bricscad's facility recently.

• In my tests Bricscad export to pdf does not support "lines merge".  That makes it unusable for me.

• How i can convert this to drawing to a 2d drawing as the pdf file that i attach before this? I use the command "_XQUICKDRAW" it show no solid found. If i use bricscad to draw a solid it can be convert. Bricscad only can convert 3D drawing drawn by itself?

a.dxfAS.dxf

• These are not solids, but polyface meshes - pretty useless in any solid modeler.
  • because i save it as dxf file so it become polyline mesh.
  • bricscad got any function that can let me convert it to a solid?
  • Eric,

3D solids should be retained on saving to DXF, unless you are saving to an early DXF format e.g. R10, in which case they do get converted to meshes. In context to your query it also makes no sense as to why you would save to DXF (unless production require a file in this format).

I would return to the original drawing file with the 3D solids and try the commands previously suggested. If you don't need to give production an electronic file in .dwg format, you can add your dimensions on a layout in the same drawing using viewports setup to the viewpoint that you want.

Attach an example drawing with 2 layouts. One produced by orientating your viewport views, the other using _QUICKDRAW.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

TestDrawing.zip

• Hi Eric,

Both IronCad and SolidWorks have the ability to export direct to DWG. There shouldn't be any need to use DXF. If for some reason the DWG files don't provide solids, then you could try requesting in ACIS .SAT format, which was mentioned in this post. Again both IronCad and SolidWorks can export to this format. Be aware that the output from these applications will change depending on where the export is carried out. e.g. Solidworks has 3 modelling environments:
    1. Part.
    2. Assembly
    3. Drawing
    Export from a Part or Assembly would result in a 3D drawing file, export from Drawing would result in a 2D drawing file.

If your having difficulty with this I suggest you contact your local Bricscad agent, they should be able to answer any issues you are having.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

• [code]PASTE CODE HERE[/code]

One way is to convert the PDF back to DWG using a program like Able2extract, if it was produced from cad not scanned.

Drawing1peao preto.dwg

• If you use the DWG to PDF and back to DWG approach, you need to be aware that the PDF file format does not have as many digits assigned to each point. So, you will loose some resolution in the process.

-Joe Dunfee
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!