Equivalent routine for textmask of Autocad

greetings

I know that exist a lot of posts about this topic here in the forum, but I did not fine what I am looking for.  I am working for a new enterprise and they use Autocad and I am using bricscad v11, but they use a lot the command "textmask" from the Autocad Express Tools and I use wipeout in the text and I send the frame to back, but the problem is, when somebody of the other workers open my drawings, they do not like my method, because the textmask join the wipeout with the text (if you move the text, you move the frame) and the text automatically is located in the front of the wipeout.

So.. the textmask as you know, you first click in the text, after that, a wipeout is created and will be behind of the text, also they move toguether.

Some body have a routine that works like the famous "textmask".

please, help me

regards,

Comments

• Are you aware of background masks with MTEXT entities?

• ???? I do not understand your question but, I should add that almost all the routines in the web for doing the same of textmask only can work with MTEXT, dont with single text. BUT, the textmask in Autocad works in both cases.

thanks again

• Background masks are a property of MTEXT entities. See the properties panel or the MText editor to turn them on and change the size.

Just thought I would mention them as an alternative to using wipeouts.

• thanks again for your help

in the case of MTEXT is enough with the properies panel in the MText editor.

But, what can I do with the single text case?

• Depends on your standards and requirements. If you are permitted, you can replace  the single line text entities with MText, do a search for txt2mtxt. There are several different lisp routines available.

Do you have many single line text entities that need to have a background mask or just a few?

Another possibility if you want to use a wipeout would be to create a group with the text entity and the wipeout. Then they would move together.

• Hi Greg

thank you very much for your answers, good advice about the routine txt2mtxt, it is a good option.  But I think it is a shame dont have a routine like "textmask" really. because this will be the procces to apply the text mask to various textx:

1. to use "txt2mtxt" routine, at least 3 clicks here.

2. use the "mtext editor", at least 7 clicks to apply background to each text. (almost the same quantities of clicks if you select various texts and use the properties box)

the process is 100% effective, but I feel it is to long, :(    vs the "testmask" of Autocad.

thank you again Greg, without your help, perhaps I would never have found the compatible solution with Autocad.

best regards

• Jorge,

If you have many MText to change the background on you can likely make use of the quick select tool to to help picking them.

See this old thread for some other ideas: http://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/7630

• thanks again my friend

very usefull the advice, perhaps you could read my new post about TCOUNT command,

regards,

• Jorge

Just my 2 cents:

TEXTMASK is that I tend to agree with Greg's suggestion of using the background mask applied to MTEXT.

In my experience it is not only easier to use, but also has less issues when it comes time to print/plot.

Best of luck to you!

• I'm using Bricscad version 10 and I can't see any background mask in the text editor.  Is it available in this version?

• Hello,

Let me add my opinion and observations about the text masking feature in AutoCAD and Bricscad.

The TEXTMASK in Bricscad (called background mask) is still not fully correct. The first limitation is that it works only on MTEXT and not on normal text objects. Please correct me if I am wrong and if there is a way to make it work with single line text objects also.

Now, let us say you have an MTEXT which has been background masked and there is an underlying LINE object cutting across it.

What users want (like in AutoCAD) is this:

"When you move your cursor away from the text, it must 'hide' the line under the text. When you bring the cusrsor on on the LINE, it must show the full line, even the part under the masked text."

What actually happens in Bricscad is the opposite:

"When you move the cursor away from the text, the portion of line under the text is not hidden. It is still visible. When you move the cursor on the text entity, the portion of line under it gets hidden. When you move the cursor on the line, it gets highlighted with a dotted line".

It would be nice to have it behave exactly the same way it does in AutoCAD.

I will a support request on this.

Regards
    Rakesh Rao
    http://rakeshrao.typepad.com

• Hi Rakesh.

About your comment:

What actually happens in Bricscad is the opposite:

"When you move the cursor away from the text, the portion of line under the text is not hidden. It is still visible. When you move the cursor on the text entity, the portion of line under it gets hidden. When you move the cursor on the line, it gets highlighted with a dotted line".

the solution is easy, make sure the mtext that you selected to apply the background mask or texmask, are int the "front order" (right cick over the entity/draw order/ bring to front. After this the background mask will work exactly like autocad. :D

Really now I use the quick select tool to select all the texts that I want to apply the background, and in the property box I put background "yes". tha'st all and works for me.

regards,

jorge

• Sort of on the same theme.. How do you get rid of background mask for fields, or is this possible?

When selected the properties show the entity as MText, but turning on or off the backgroud mask property seems to have no effect.  Maybe someone knows the dxf code for this property or is all this info in an extended dictionary?

• Jerry, you are looking for the FIELDDISPLAY system variable. This variable is not yet available in Bricscad.

• Guys,

Why cant we just get a txtmask command like autocad? is it really that hard? all the time that you guys have wasted in responding to these posts, some one would have created one by now!!!!

I don't want to fiddle around with converting text to Mtext then fiddle around even more with the mtext editor. We have many drawing from years ago and they all have dtext and now they need to be updated and cleaned up. it takes me 10 mins per drawing in autocad and to do what has been said will take me an hour in Bricscad.

Guys I'm lov'n the stability in Bricscad over Autocad, I'm getting converted, don't let this sort of stuff dissapoint me!!!!

Cheers

Mark 

• Guys,

Why cant we just get a txtmask command like autocad? is it really that hard? all the time that you guys have wasted in responding to these posts, some one would have created one by now!!!!

I don't want to fiddle around with converting text to Mtext then fiddle around even more with the mtext editor. We have many drawing from years ago and they all have dtext and now they need to be updated and cleaned up. it takes me 10 mins per drawing in autocad and to do what has been said will take me an hour in Bricscad.

Guys I'm lov'n the stability in Bricscad over Autocad, I'm getting converted, don't let this sort of stuff dissapoint me!!!!

Cheers

Mark 

• Mark,

You're venting your spleen in the wrong place, you should raise a support request with Bricsys. This forum is for fellow users, and they're in the same boat as you.

Your right, TEXTMASK could be created for Bricscad relatively easily by someone who knows LISP. As far as I understand TEXTMASK applies a WIPEOUT to single line TEXT to form the mask, and then uses GROUP to tie the two objects together. I dare say that there is probably already a routine out there that does this.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

•  Just download Express tools from the Bricscad App Store if you need TextMask.
  • Awesome Thanks Dan

Simple as that!!!

This discussion has been closed.